We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

5 posts
Save Topic
Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

I've planned 2 weeks near Lido Key beach Nov.1-15. Is the water warm enough to swim in that time of year? If not, what is the best month to go there when the water is warm but the air temperature is not sweltering? Thanks for any input!

9 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,853 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

The first week, yes. Will all d epend on weather at the time for the second.

The water in the gulf cools faster if the night time temps are low.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

I think there was another similar thread on this same subject (you might want to go to Lido Key's forum) ...

Early in the month of November will still be good - although you might want to be sure that the rates on properties haven't increased due to the upcoming arrival of the "snow birds."

We always travel to the area in mid to late October - not sweltering, and the Gulf has a nice feel to it (sort of like being in a spa). :-)

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

I love October here. Its cooling off a bit, breezy, very pleasant. October might be better: warmer water, less crowds. That said, November is nice too, and the water is not nearly as cold as the water up north.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

These are very helpful replies. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. I'm very tempted now to move the dates back to last week of October and first week of November.....or even the last 2 weeks of October. Thanks so much!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
454 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

Just be sure to stay away from the inlet area by Lido Beach Park, (South End) . . . it's signed with "No Swimming," because the water can run really fast there and carry you out to sea :(

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

Wow, I really appreciate this warning. I haven't heard that before and I'll be sure to find out exactly where not to go. Thanks so much, Suncoast Travelers! Any opinion on late Oct/early Nov. swimming?

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

There is swimming at South Lido on one part of the beach. There is a shadier area, where the current is strong, and there are signs. Its a lovely park.

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

Thanks, Lemstar. I'm assuming there are no lifeguards at the time I'll be there. Managed to get my reservation moved up to end of October through Nov. 10. Still haven't found out about the dredging though I've called several public works numbers. Maybe they haven't scheduled it yet.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?

The public Lido Beach is different area than South Lido beach too. Current is fine at Lido Beach. (no info about dredging)

Reply to: Swim in Lido Key beach water in early November?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted