We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel water quality

1 post
Save Topic
Sanibel water quality

Will be arriving in Saturday, June 9th. Just heard about the Lake O. release. Is the water safe to swim in? I’ve been going Sanibel since I was a child. So sad to hear about this.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel water quality

Yes the water is very safe for swimming.

During day light hours look at this live Sanibel Beach Camera Link and you'll see for yourself:

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
2. Re: Sanibel water quality

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 June 2018, 13:53

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel water quality

The link at the bottom is a recent news article about the water releases and their impact on water quality around Sanibel, including drone footage of the brown water. It takes a minute for the news story to load.

Personally, I certainly would not swim in brown water that looks like the Mississippi River even if I was told it is safe. It’s tragic that a State that relies on tourism and beautiful beaches has allowed this to continue for so long. Hopefully we will have a dryer spring that will help mitigate these releases.

nbc-2.com/story/38344712/lake-o-release-rate…

Edited: 05 June 2018, 13:57
Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Gilbert, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel water quality

We'll be there the same time, Marisol! I can't get the link from SDT - the other live cam link looks ok??

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel water quality

Last year we found that the water was worse by the Lighthouse. Bowman’s beach and Captiva were fine. Last year I was taking medications which weakened my immune system so I did not go in the water. They warn people with weak immune systems to avoid the water. It was so brown I wouldn’t have gone in anyway. Hopefully it’s not so bad this year.

Mentioned in this post
Bowman's Beach
Bowman's Beach
2,673 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Reply to: Sanibel water quality
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted