We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water clarity on bay

Jacksonville
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water clarity on bay

I am interested in seeing how the clarity is with the water in the "back" bay of Sanibel Island near the causeway. We stay annually at Lighthouse Pointe Resort, however last year we elected for different location. The year previous (2016) the water was brown in the back bay and even in the open Gulf to an extent. We were told it was due to draining from Lake Okeechobee. My question is our week coming up June 16 and we are all a bit nervous if the water is brown still, is it?

Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water clarity on bay

I am currently in Ft Myers Beach and was considering driving out to Sanibel Island. The water was very murky today here. I am curious as well how the water is there.

Edited: 01 June 2018, 02:45
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water clarity on bay

May 24th view;

https:/…index.html

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water clarity on bay

September 2017 View:

https:/…index.html

Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water clarity on bay

September is not a good view. Turbidity from the recent rainfall and resulting storm water runoff seems to be the cause.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water clarity on bay

The area had almost a foot of rain during May causing Lake O levels to rise accordingly. Water releases started this morning. Here we go again.

winknews.com/2018/…

Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water clarity on bay

Well then, the nice May view is about to change to something more like the September 2017 view. Ugh,

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water clarity on bay

On the news today, I saw heartbreaking footage of brown water by the Lighthouse. It’s been rainy so water has been released from Lake O. We opted to go to the Keys this year to avoid the disappointment

Jacksonville
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water clarity on bay

Just not the same seeing the usually beautiful water brown. We've already booked and will be there week after next, maybe things will clear up a bit.

Reply to: Water clarity on bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island