We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in St. Pete?

Level Contributor
43 posts
61 reviews
What to do in St. Pete?

I will be traveling to St. Pete for a week in may for business. I've never been to this part of FL, so I was wondering what it's like there, and what there might be to do.

I'm looking for some recommedations on places to eat, and maybe some fun things to do after work. Also, what are the beaches like down there. We usually vacation at PC Beach every year, so I would love it if St. Pete has the same kind of beaches.

Any advice/recommendations is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
193 reviews
1. Re: What to do in St. Pete?

For going to the beach, go to Fort DeSoto (North Beach).

Places to eat-

Fresco's and Columbia's (Columbo's?) at the Pier

Dan Marino or The Dish at Baywalk

The Melting Pot Fondue Restaurant on 4th (takes up the whole evening though)

Lunches -Fourth Street Shrimp Store, Midtown Sundries.

If you like museums, take your pick. Must see Pier, Baywalk, go on the downtown ghost tour, or take in the dog races at Derby Lanes.

Things to see near St. Pete - Busch Gardens, Channelside, and Tampa Aquarium in Tampa, Clearwater Marine Aquarium in Clearwater. Clearwater Beach is very nice. Largo Central Park has a model railroad display on the weekends (big models - toys of grown men who ride them). I'll let Tampan extoll the virtues of Ybor City.

Shopping - John's Pass Village, Ellenton Malls, Tyrone Square Mall, Westshore Mall.

Cool things - See the Pier's website for hookups to renting an electric boat or going on a dolphin cruise. More of the same at Clearwater, John's Pass.

Make time to walk through Sunken Gardens and take a camera - it's gorgeous. If you like birds, Boyd Hill Nature Park has a cool raptor rehabilitation center and the Lake Maggiore Trail there is a great place to see them fishing and hear all kinds of calls.

There's also a palm arboretum over by the Vinoy in Vinoy Park. Speaking of the Vinoy, if you are staying there, you can take in a game of golf on there course on Snell Isle.

If you are true nature fiend, you might consider going kayaking in the Weedon Island Nature Preserve.

Check the city's event calendar for the days you will be here. Also Janus Landing/State Theatre.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
86 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: What to do in St. Pete?

Baywalk ent complex , has dan marinos martini bar , live music in the complex on weekends, usually a event going on in the downtwn waterfront area, you have Mlb devil rays playing , you even have a Saturday market every weekend on central ave , which is very cool. dont for get tampa has Ybor city , for going to clubs and shopping,as well as Busch gardens and Adventure island water park , MOSI And Lowry Park Zoo. So a good spot to see it all .. and some of the best beaches in America

Waukesha, WI
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: What to do in St. Pete?

We just got back from a few nights in St Pete Beach - stayed at the Best Western on the beach. It had a great beach front bar with live entertainment each night. Beach was very nice. Lots of good restaurants up and down Golf Blvd.

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: What to do in St. Pete?

Relax,have a good time. This is THE place to chill out!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: What to do in St. Pete?

First off, we don't like UGA fans.

Having said that, my best selection for a restaurant is Salt Rock Grill on Indian Rocks Beach. Baywalk is too weird: tries to be a club, but too many angry youth walking around on weekends to enjoy.

Shephards on Clearwater Beach will give you by far the best all you can eat buffet of seafood & crablegs anywhere. Melting Pot is too long for me, and I just don't care for Fourth Street Shrimp Store personally.

As for things to do, there is the Dali Museum, catching a Rays baseball game, a Lightning game (if they're still in playoff contention). A drive over the bridge will take you to Channelside. This is a great selection of bars and restaurants with an outdoor venue. Not like Ybor, this is all grown-ups. A great place to hang for an evening, with great food and great entertainment.

The best thing about our area is the beaches, so you can't go wrong to visit any of them. Several have clubs for evening entertainment as well.

Madeira Beach, FL
8 posts
1 review
6. Re: What to do in St. Pete?

There are a lot of different things to do in the St Petersburg area. It depends on what you like to do and how far you want to drive around. If you are on a good expense account check out Julians in downtown St Pete for great steaks. If you are staying out on the beach try The Lobster Pot in Reddington Shores (The Salt Rock Grill is ok but not exactly intimate). Check out the beach in Pass A Grille. Unlike the other beach towns there are no buildings on the beach side of the street. It is the very southern tip of St. Pete Beach past the Don Cesar Hotel(drink a beer at The Wharf).

Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg