We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
445 posts
23 reviews
Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

Hello. Having been to beaches all over the world, it is surprising that I have never really been to Florida for the beaches. We love the Caribbean, but have spent a lot more time in Hawaii since we moved to CA.

Question: Are the beaches in or around St. Petersburg warm and clear in October? I want to avoid Miami and West Palm Beach areas if we could. I know that the beaches are beautiful in St. Petersburg, but are they comparable to the Caribbean in terms of current, warmth, white sand, crowds etc?

Thank you as always!

21 replies to this topic
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

The city of St. Petersburg is located on Tampa Bay and does not have a real beach. The city of St. Pete Beach is located on a barrier island on the Gulf of Mexico. They are different cities, about 15 minutes from each other. The Gulf has a very sandy and gradual drop off. The water clarity is affected by storms that will stir up the bottom. October is a lovely time to visit, water temperature will be in the low to mid 80's. Keep in mind that it is still hurricane season. I find the water temp. to be warmer that time a year than many places in the Caribbean.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island have brown sand. Some other areas of Pinellas County have white sand. The water will probably be pretty warm until the first cold front of the year. The water will NOT be Caribbean clear. You might be able to see your feet in chest deep water if a storm has not churned-up the water.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
445 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

Ahh ok. Thank you. Do you both then recommend the Southeast side beaches like Palm Beach to get the Caribbean feel? I just want to avoid South Beach and the young crowd...we are old lol!

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

I think the "feel" ,meaning the vibe is Caribbean enough in St. Pete Beach. There are high rises, but it has a very relaxed feel. Most of the people in the bars and attractions are very nice. I spent a few days at the beginning of November over there, and had a great time. I am no spring chicken.

If you want blue water, then yes, Palm Beach and south will have much clearer water. South Florida is also very densely populated. I prefer St Pete.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
257 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

Have you considered Naples, Marco Island, Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
445 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

@miamimimi2018 - We are open. I am just getting information at this point. Never enjoyed the beaches of Florida, so getting all opinions...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
630 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

There is plenty of white sand on St Pete Beach

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
575 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

In my opinion, the beach with the clearest waters and whitest sand in Florida is Anna Maria Island. I've been all over Florida and AMI is my number one choice.

Edited: 20 June 2018, 22:24
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

The sand is white on St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island. Anna Maria is very pretty. Sanibel has problems with water clarity when the Army Corps of Engineers release water from Lake Okeechobee: from news-press.com/story/…. The east coast beaches have been plagued this spring with sargassum seaweed: nbcmiami.com/news/local/sargassum-seaweed-wa…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
445 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?

Ok, looking at AirBnBs near Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island and St Pete Beach...prices are reasonable.

Reply to: Clear warm blue waters in October? Better than SE Miami!?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg
Recent Conversations