We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
59 reviews
Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

Hi there,

I am coming down at the end of the month to check out the St Pete area. Looking at staying at an airbnb but the choices are a bit overwhelming. I don't need to be near the water. I prefer quiet neighborhoods with charm. I live in a historic district now and I'm drawn to older homes. I also want to check out the local marinas as I am looking to buy a small sailboat. I'm posting this in the Tampa forum as well because I will have a rental car and want to check out as many areas as possible. This trip is a bit of research and a bit of vacation. Really appreciate any suggestions on nice areas to stay and things to do. Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
569 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

Look into the Old Northeast area of St. Pete. This is the historic area of St. Pete and has a lot of beautiful and charming homes, I can't afford to live in that area but I enjoy driving or walking through it. There are several marinas in the downtown area. Demens Landing has a marina and there's also ones between there and down by North Straub Park. We have a great craft beer scene in the downtown area, a few of my favorites are Cage Brewing, 3 Daughters, PAWS, and St. Pete Brewing. Green Bench is great as well if you're a fan of IPAs. We offer a wide range of restaurants, the more high end places are along Beach Drive. I prefer the areas along Central... Iberian Rooster, The Mill, La V, The Galley... just to name a few. You can rent a bike with Coast Bike Share and cruise around the downtown area or take a self guided tour to see all the murals painted on various buildings. If you're going to pick to stay near downtown, don't miss out on the Saturday Morning Market, music, food, vendors. It's a good time.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

Sorry SFB is the airport code for Sanford/Orlando where I'm flying into. USA is the airport code for Concord, NC where I am originating. Got the airport codes mixed up. Looks to be a couple of hours or more between Sanford and Tampa then not sure how much further to the St Pete area.

Thanks meI8931 for the info! Really helpful!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

In Tampa, take a look at Seminole Heights, Hyde Park, and Davis Islands for historic areas - Davis Island is on the water as you'd imagine, but loads of marinas there and on the Interbay area.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
246 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

I think, but am not certain, that the Saturday Morning Market has moved to Williams Park for the summer.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local

Indeed it has:

http://saturdaymorningmarket.com/

Reply to: Quick Trip - Want to see things like a local
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg