We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

Hi, I will be coming down to the Tampa/St. Pete area last week in February. I am coming down for 2 reasons. 1 is to relax after leaving my corporate job of 9 years. 2 is to check out the surrounding areas for the possible future purpose of buying a food truck. So I am very perplexed as to where to stay. For one I love the idea of staying on St Pete Beach but will it be too far if I'm checking out the Tampa location and/or talking to food truck owners in Tampa? So I guess what I'm asking is what would be a good area to stay where I'm reasonably close to St Pete and Tampa but still able to have the relaxing time I need (beach)? I will have a car rental. I think I need to narrow down the area first and then look at lodging.

Would St Pete be good as it's in between Tampa and St Pete Beach? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

There is growing market in St. Petersburg for food trucks. From October through May, there are so many festivals, open markets, etc. Here are some that you might check out:

https:/…st-petersburg_fl. www.yelp.com/search?cflt=foodtrucks&find_loc=Saint+Petersburg%2C+FL

It would be good to compare the regulations and codes that govern Tampa and St. Petersburg.

St. Pete Beach is about 15 min. from downtown St. Petersburg and about 40 minutes to the downtown area of Tampa. You could start in Tampa and stay 2-3 days near Ybor City and spend the rest of the time in St. Pete Beach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

Hi thanks for the link! Yes that's one thing I'm going to be determining is where I want to do the food truck, St Pete or Tampa and I'm open to both. Your idea is pretty good about splitting up the places I stay. I hadn't thought of that. Would you have any recommendations for 2-3 nights on St Pete Beach that won't break the bank at that time of year? I'm alone so don't need a lot of space. I do want a kitchen/kitchenette though and wouldn't want to be too far away north or south from the tampa area.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

FYI, Tampa will be hosting the Gasparilla Distance Classic on Feb. 25 & 26. It is a marathon & Half-marathon runs as well as other distances. This is a large event with many people coming from all over to compete. So this could be a snag in finding lodging in the area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

Yikes I guess I'd better book this asap. I'm going to look in the downtown St Pete area. My flight is already booked from 2/23-3/1.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

Hi so I've decided to stay in the St.Pete downtown area. Any suggestions on reasonably priced hotels there that have some amenities (pool, gym, close to waterfront). I'm looking at The Hollander. Any feedback on that one? Thanks

6. Re: Need Suggestions on area/lodging for vaca/business trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2018, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg