We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

ky
12 posts
Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

Just booked a week in October in Cape San Blas. First time to vacation there, and interested in advice anyone can share about the area. Have 3 boys 3,7,9 that will be spending hours in the sand/ocean and I'm sure we'll visit the State Park, but curious about other areas also -- besides antiques/shops/restaurants, would the boys like Appachicola --- maybe fishing docks/pier? is this a good place to go? I've read about Toucans, and Indian Pass Raw Bar and plan to go there, but any other places on a " must do" list? St Vincent Island? How bad are the misquitos in October? Thanks for any input.

Oh, also, is the Piggly Wiggly open 24hrs in Port St. Joe? Thanks

ky
12 posts
1. Re: Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

sorry, meant Apalachicola

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

I have 2 children, a girl now 8 and a boy 10 and October is our favorite time of year! Some of our favorite things to do are:

Rent a pontoon boat from Seahorse Water Safaris and explore the bay and tip of the Cape--the last 7 miles don't even have roads on it. We see sea urchins, dolphins, crabs of all types, shells of all shapes and sizes. We pull the boat in close to shore and jump out in the shallows and explore! Fantastic way to spend the day!

Bring your crab nets and go crabbing! You can also get a crab cage and use bait--good eating either way!

Apalach is a great place to spend the early evening and have a great dinner while you're there! We enjoy Steamers (among many others there) and it's on the bay side just before you get to Apalach.

Lots of interesting stores and shops---there is a great old time toy store there as well as an old fashion soda fountain that's fun to visit. The stores are not open late in October, so be sure to do that part first!

The mosquitoes just depend on how much rain there has been recently! We always bring bug spray and have never been bothered by them! There is also a product made by REPEL that you spray on fabric that kills them 10 feet away--you can use that on clothes and beach umbrella's etc. if they bother you!

We'll be on the Cape the week of the 7th! If you are in Barrier Dunes, shoot me an email offline since our kids are of similar ages!

Have a great trip!

Wendy Jackson

www.TheCapeEscape.com

ky
12 posts
3. Re: Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for all your input, and glad to hear October is your favorite time on the Cape.

Is Piggly Wiggly the grocery you would recommend-- or maybe it's the only one, and is it open late on a Sat night?

We have thought about finding some sort of boat excursion... thanks for the suggestion.

We will be there the week after you(but not in Barrier Dunes). Hope you have great weather.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

I'm not sure of the hours for The Pig, but their number is 850-229-8398. It is the only big grocery store in PSJ, but I do recommend it. They have great seafood and everything else that you will need while you are there!

If you forget something, stop by Scallop Cove --- they have just about anything you might need, including many rental items. Just no fresh fruit/veggies and meat, other than lunch meat, bacon and that type thing! They have hand dipped Ice Cream, hot dogs and seafood gumbo too!

As far as motorized boats--Seahorse Water Safaris is great! They have everything from speed boats to pontoon boats and the owners are terrific to work with! If you want a kayak, Scallop Cove will even deliver them to your door and pick them up which is nice!

Hope you have a great trip!

Wendy Jackson

5. Re: Looking for Cape San Blas area tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 09:23
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe