We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2017, 00:00
Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

In the last 10 yrs I've been going, (and I make it there 4 x a yr) I have never seen a patrol. That being said, it is still quite a delight to have dogs on the beach and I would hate to have the privliage taken because the rules were't followed. Somtimes I let go of the leash, techically they still have a leash and let them run, chasing after them (they are on voice command so if I yell stop they will) Please pick up after them. I think cape san blass and Indian Beach are even more remote. The town has like 2 police cars and state troopers are not going to get involved. I would like to think they would give a warning b4 ticket, but once again there is no one on any ATV doing a beach patrol, it is done from HWY 98. Have fun!

2. Re: St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2017, 00:00
Atlanta, GA
2 posts
3. Re: St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

I vacationed in Cape San Blas last year with my Austrailian Shepherd. She is voice controlled and wants to stay near me so I let her off leash at times but ALWAYS took a bag so I could clean up after her. The only problem I had was one day we were walking down the beach with her a few feet ahead of us off leash, and without warning a big pit bull came running out from under someones lawn chair and tried to attack her. It was very scary and the owners of that dog were not even apologetic and very slow to get their dog off of her. It was like they enjoyed it. Fortunately my dog rolled over on her side and kept moving so the pit could not get his mouth on anything other than her hair. I called the incident in but by the time someone came out the group had gone inside.

So, a word of caution there. After that I would only let her off leash when no one else was around, there were many opportunities for this. Not everyone who brings their dog is a responsible owner.

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
4. Re: St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

Yes, that is me.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

bad story bad dog. My little guys are only 24 lbs and would have been a snack. They are so friendly they run ( to play) at other dogs, so once someone comes out with a dog I'll yell stop! and pick up the leashes.

Again to answer the question I have never seen a patrol on the beach ( like on an ATV) at least never on St. Joe Beach

6. Re: St. Joe Beach and the "leash law." Is it very strict?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 09 March 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe
More Port Saint Joe Topics