We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes and horse flies

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes and horse flies

Are the mosquitoes or horse flies worse in some parts of cape san blas? It seems like I have heard they get worse the closer you get to the state park. Is this true?

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

Gulf county sprays for mosquitoes. Areas of higher population density and thus people reporting mosquitoe problems probably get more bug spray. I could see where the cape's less populated areas would get less attention. Also they use spray trucks to put out the mosquitoe killer so if your hiking away from the road you better have your on personal bug spray. Unfortunately the spray they put out seems to have little effect against the yellow fly. Far worse than any other biting insect I've ever run across. Thank god they're only a problem for a couple of weeks and than fade away. If they land on you kill them before they start sucking your blood they seem to have 5 times the capacity of a mosquitoe and will leave a itching welt that you'll want to scratch till it's a open sore. Deep woods off or deet might help. Do not where dark clothing they are attracted to it and will target you. Locals despise these creatures so much they will spend the time and money to buy a beach ball, spray paint it black, cover it in fly stickum and hang on a tree in their yard and in no time they'll have a beach ball covered in yellow flies. I quess it's worth the hassel, to be in one of the most beautiful beaches in the U.S.

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

Thank you so much for all the info!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
367 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

Don't know why but Bounce dryer sheets will repel these pests. Pin dry sheets on your clothes. I would also use bug spray but you may not want to do that on kids. I have also pinned up a few sheets to beach umbrellas.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

When we were there last June we didn't get a single bite and didn't use bug spray. Maybe we were just lucky!

Carthage, Missouri
Level Contributor
205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

We discovered that the ocean breeze kept the bugs away. If you were on the beach, no problem. But as soon as you stepped behind a dune or under the carport, BIG problem, mostly mosquitoes. Didn't see the yellow flies, thank goodness. Floral scented OFF worked well and smelled nice. Stay in the open, sunny, hot areas and you may get lucky too!

New Orleans...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

So, what months of year are the worst for the horseflies and mosquitoes?

New Orleans...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

So, what months of year are the worst for the horseflies and mosquitoes?

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
614 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

Just returned from 3 days at the state park. Our site had a strong, unobstructed ocean breeze and, as we predicted, we didn't get any bites. In April we camped in a site farther from the shore and got a lot of bites while at the campsite, but none while near the beach on the ocean side or bayside.

Horseflies and mosquitoes are ubiquitous, at least in the eastern portion of the country, whenever it's warm enough. I wouldn't say they are anymore prevalent on CSB than anywhere else but since people spend most of their time outside while there, they are noticed more. Stay out of the foliage, near the beach, and you should be bug-free.

9. Re: mosquitoes and horse flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe