We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape san blas, FL

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
cape san blas, FL

I paid a deposit for a vacation home to stay at cape san blas, FL start of the week 11/10 but after the hurricane I don't even know if the house is still there. Did anybody hear what the status down there is like?

4 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
214 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: cape san blas, FL

I saw some very shocking photos of Cape San Blas yesterday on FB. It was hit hard and a new channel cut through the road separating the State Park from the rest of the island. Also, the road at the bend, what everyone calls "the rocks", is buckled and washed out. Many of the houses made it but I'm not sure how they will be accessible unless they can get the road at the bend repaired very quickly. Sorry that I don't have better news.

1 post
2. Re: cape san blas, FL

Here's a blog that tells you the conditions there. They currently have no water, sewer or power. http://capesanblasblog.com

Edited: 13 October 2018, 17:13
Knoxville
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: cape san blas, FL

If you haven't done so already (and haven't heard from them), you need to contact the realty company or entity who you went through to rent your vacation house. They will be able to tell you everything you need to know about the status of your rental house and it's accessibility. It may be that, depending on their location, the rental company is having difficulty contacting renters. The area was extremely hard hit and in a few cases (especially if you went through an individual or a small agency with just a local office) they may have limited or no access to phones, internet, etc. Good luck!

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: cape san blas, FL

Be patient as there is no power, no telephone, no running water. No businesses are opened and there are no supplies. The National Guard is there proving fuel to the utility trucks. It’s difficult to get in and out of the area- it takes hours. I am in Tallahassee with no power, only got phone back yesterday, internet is hit or miss. I visited my home in neighboring Franklin County today. Travel time is double at this time and done through the forest roads. Your planned trip is weeks away. I’m sure that you’ll get your money back but it will be a while before the infrastructure comes back. I saw many utility trucks today in route. They are working hard but it’s a disaster area.

Reply to: cape san blas, FL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe
More Port Saint Joe Topics