We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

Nashville
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

Hi,

we just booked a cottage at Barefoot Cottages for New Year's - we stayed in Cape San Blas and Indian Pass before, but it's been years. I unfortunately only read through this forum a bit later - the description does say "beach access 50 yds", but now I'm wondering - is there no beach at all here? We're not going with small children, but were looking forward to beachwalks etc.!!! Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
366 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

There are a few people on here that live closer to that area. I'm sure they'll help you more than I can, but...

I had to look up your cottage. It looks a lot farther than 50 yards to the beach.

Port St. Joe has bay side beaches. The water tends to be less clear and the sand not as nice on the bay side. In the summer, I'd recommend against staying there, but it might suit your purposes. The water in general isn't as pretty in winter, and since you probably won't want to frolic in the water much, that drawback doesn't hurt so bad. The bay side beaches often have sand more suited for walking too, and the water might be a little calmer.

If you want to try to find a "better" beach, it's only a few miles from your place up to the Mexico Beach area.

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
307 posts
226 reviews
2. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

If you booked at Barefoot Cottages, no there is no beach there, and the beach that is "50 yards away" is a very short stretch of beach just across 98 on St Joe Bay. Probably 20 ft of sand to the water, it's pretty much the end of Windmark beach, just before the Intracoastal Waterway. You would really need to drive towards the west end of Windmark Beach or St Joe Beach to have any actual beach. However, if you are just wanting to walk on the beach, go to the first Windmark Beach public entrance, which is about 1/4 mile to the west of the cottages, and walk to the west. We frequently walk Windmark Beach, sometimes the whole 3 miles of it, and back. It is very peaceful, and very deserted 95% of the time. You wouldn't know there was anyone around.

Nashville
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

Thanks, this helps a lot! I'm going to have to think about this for a bit - we were hoping to walk straight to a beach, but then again ... this will teach me not to rush into booking something without verifying that we remember locations correctly!!! I seem to remember Mexico Beach as being similar to Port St. Joe, but it sounds like my memory is playing tricks on me. We had thought of looking at Indian Pass as well. We're not really that interested in walking to restaurants and things, just wanted to rest up a bit.

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
307 posts
226 reviews
4. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

You might consider staying in Windmark per se. They have some condos they rent, as well as some of the houses in the development. No Worries is the rental company. We are at Windmark a lot, as we love to walk that secluded beach with our pup.

Mexico Beach and St Joe Beach are part of the same stretch of sand. Mexico Beach (Bay county) is not pet-friendly, but all of Gulf county is- St Joe Beach, PSJ , the Cape, Indian Pass.

Hope you work it out, and we might cross paths on the beach.

Nashville
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

Good ideas! So with Windmark Beach being 1/4 mile away, could you walk there?

I'll look at places on Windmark as well.

No dogs along this time, alas - we lost both to old age this past year:(

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
307 posts
226 reviews
6. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

The closest entrance to Windmark beach from Barefoot Cottages is about 1/4 mile west on US 98. You could definitely walk to the entrance, and the beach access is about 1/4 mile down that road. St Joe Company, through No Worries, rents the condos at Windmark,1 & 3 bedroom, nice units, nice grounds, great boardwalks.

Sorry about your pups.

Nashville
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

Thanks, that's helpful! Are you walking down 98 then? We're good walkers ... I just want to think this through before I cancel a reservation needlessly. Thanks for the sympathy. It's built in I guess, but always hard.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
623 posts
158 reviews
8. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

I second the encouragement to look at Mexico Beach. The satellite view of online maps should help you get a feel for where the beaches are.

Mount Vernon
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
9. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

PSJ is not a beach town. There is plentiful beach within a short driving distance. The beach is best at Mexico Beach and declines in quality and width as you approach PSJ.

You are still in a good spot and can enjoy the beach experience though!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
10. Re: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?

We are about to head there. Is the area safe?

Reply to: Port St Joe in December - is there no beach at all?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe
More Port Saint Joe Topics