We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone book directly through Shores of Panama...PLEASE HELP!

Level Contributor
43 posts
61 reviews
Anyone book directly through Shores of Panama...PLEASE HELP!

We are looking to book a 2 BR condo at the Shores of Panama for this July. I've checked out VRBO, but they are actually more expensive than booking directly through the resort. Not to mention, most owners require $200-$300 security deposit, and the resort does not. They only require the first night and taxes for the deposit and that is applies towards the balance at check-in.

However, my question is this...On most all of the VRBO sites that I visited, they mention a resort fee of $27 per night. But when I break down the total price of booking directly through the resort I can't find where this fee is included. I thoroughly read through the rental agreement and still didn't see anything about a resort fee. I want to go ahead and book, but I also want to make sure that we aren't going to have any surprises at check-in.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

Flowery Branch...
Level Contributor
262 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Anyone book directly through Shores of Panama...PLEASE HELP!

I rented at SOP thru VRBO for June. Our security deposit was $200 more but, all taxes, the cleaning fee & ammenity fees were included in our rate. $200 is the lowest deposit I've seen posted & $500 is the most I've seen. Each owner charges a different price for cleaning fee too. Since this place is so new & upscale some owners are renting these out at expensive rates, but lead you to believe that you're saving money. A couple of weeks after booking w/the owner I became curious & checked the price that the resort charges. The cost was pretty much the same maybe only $100 difference. You're right, on line it doesn't mention deposits, ammenity or cleaning fees. The owner that we rented from told me that I was saving approx $1200 for the week just by renting from him. He also was telling me about the extra fees the resort charges per day. The owner gave me an early booking discount & was very nice. He did seem like quite the salesman though. If I were you, I would call the resort to ask about their deposit,ammenity & cleaning fees. Also ask if they charge for parking. I think all condos require an additional security deposit at check in. Before we knew about vrbo we booked at Boardwalk thru Expedia. Additional fees were not mentioned until we checked in. Not only did we have a $300 deposit, but resort fees/parking fees. We were not prepared for this & I'm afraid this will happen to lots of renters at SOP this year. Please let us know what you find out.

2. Re: Anyone book directly through Shores of Panama...PLEASE HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 03:18