We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

Which Palm Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

We'll be at PGA National for a week in a friends condo, but I want to spend one night at a beachfront hotel for my husband's birthday. So I like the Ritz and the 4 Seasons, but are they worth the money? Seems like the Chesterfield is nice (but not beachfront) and wondering if there are other hotels I have missed. We don't care about the shopping or closeness to restaurants, etc. - been to Palm Beach before. Just want to relax and enjoy! (So is South Beach not a good choice? Thanks

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

South Beach seems like a little way to drive if all you want to do is relax and enjoy. You can do that closer to PGA National just fine. Try checking out the Resort at Singer Island, Marriott's Ocean Pointe Resort, or the Jupiter Beach Resort. Maybe not as pricey as Ritz or 4 Seasons, but similar amenities and the same type pf beach. All within 15 - 20 minutes of PGA Nat'l.

But, if you want to sightsee and take in a little more of avant garde vibe, definitely try out SoBe. I like the Park Central Hotel there.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

Thanks so much - there are just so many choices! It is snowing here in Cleveland, so at this point - I don't care where we stay!

Thanks!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

Absolutely treat yourselves to an overnight on South Beach, Miami! It's an easy 90 minute trip away and an experience not to be missed - especially for someone celebrating the big four-oh!

There has been significant local beach erosion from Jupiter to Boca thanks to numerous off-shore storms this past winter, that has left barely a strip of sand in-front of all the resorts here, so you will need to travel to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami anyway if that's what you are looking for!

In South Beach, all the hotels are across the street from the beautiful, wide, sugar-sand tropical paradise that the area is know for. Our favorite hotels there are the Strand or the Marriott, both on Ocean Drive right in the heart of the action!

If you prefer a hotel right on the beach, you will need to stay more north on Collins Avenue. Up that way we love the Fontainebleau and the Essex House.

Hope this helps!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

So glad to see your message - I am very interested in the Essex House. Seems to have good reviews, looks nice. What is your take on it? (be honest, I've spent hours looking at hotels in S.Beach)! Also like the Park Central and The Hotel, but not sure. Does Essex have beach amenities?

Thanks so much!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

The Hotel as well as The Essex House are wonderful hotels just a block or so off the beach on the southern end of Collins Avenue more in the art deco district. But you will not be able to just step outside to cross the street to the beach or to be instantly immersed in the excitement of Ocean Drive.

We much prefer your choice of The Park Central!

Hope this helps!

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

For a 40th b-day for one night, I would do the Setai. Its VERY expensive, but the best in SoBe. We have also enjoyed the Ritz-Carlton as well, and it is right on the beach, not across from it. Hope this helps.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

'Pattyatips' makes two wonderful resort recommendations for you! The Ritz-Carlton is indeed on the beach, but it is a few blocks north on Lincoln Road rather than in the heart of the SoBe action on Ocean Drive. The Setai on Collins Avenue is even further north than the Ritz.

You have some great choices to make! Happy Travels!

8. Re: Husband's 40th Birthday - Palm Beach or South Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 00:16