We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The dreaded 'debit card' debate

ireland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Hey everyone! We landed safe and sound yesterday and just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that we used a Santander debit card at Alamo and had no problems at all. We just paid at the desk which was very quick and sent to the garage to pick up a Ford Escape with 1600 miles on the clock. Showed my licence at kiosk on way out and away we went, and we didn't have to show our Brits guide at any point. They just took payment for the car no extra for dep or insurance and weren't pushy about upgrade at all. Credit card packed tightly away and hopefully can be cut up on return home lol

Bridlington
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

That's great to know. Just want to get to villa without any sale pitch.

Have a great time

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Jackall. Why do you think you will get a sales pitch at your villa?

ireland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

You're right jackall, I've used Alamo twice now this year and I can't fault them one bit x

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Jackall. Whoops. Read your post incorrectly!!! Totally agree with you, so hope you have arranged to go straight to the garage to collect your hire car!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
980 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Hi Fi

Nice to hear no issues - never had issue with debit card either. I understand the CC is "safer" but unless you intend losing it or buying items which won't have manufacturers warranties or might get lost the guarantees aren't much use.

After having CC issues earlier in life I firmly believe in the debit card. If you have the money and can pay off the CC then good on you. I thought I could, then circumstances changed, and I was unable to. It's a mess I don't want to repeat and wouldn't encourage anyone to use a CC to the exclusion of anything else as some do.

At the end of the day now if I don't have the money I cannot, physically, pay it. If I need emergency funds I can get them.

Bridlington
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Yes we have checked in with Alamo .

No problem I also sometimes have a problem reading posts lol

Just can't wait to get in that pool .

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

We use a cc to the exclusion of everything else however it's a air miles card which we pay off in full every month so pay no interest and we have enough points to pay for our holiday car rental so win win

We also have a fee free cc which we use for holidays only - also paid off in full

If you are able to manage your finances I don't see a problem with using credit cards

As far as using a debit card to pay for car rental I think if it's showing a visa or MasterCard emblem I think it's acceptable

cincinnati
Level Contributor
804 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

I managed at the largest rental car agency in the USA for first 5 years out of college. I've managed retail banking centers the past two decades.i also used to live in Orlando and witnessed tourist motorist (lack of) quality for years.

Debit cards are the absolutely vastly inferior to credit cards when using to rent cars, for a myriad of reasons. (insurance coverage, deposit minimums, credit check necessity, vehicle class eligibility, dispute ease, etc, etc)

IF everything goes right then the client can always pay with debit card at rental return.

If folks can't manage their finances enough to maintain an active low balance credit card I worry about their ability/commitment to carrying enough liability coverage when hiring an unfamiliar automobile and operating it in busy, unpredictable Orlando traffic.

ireland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Vegas my views are 100% same as yours!! I have it if I need it 'in an emergency' but if I don't I'm def binning in when I get home

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: The dreaded 'debit card' debate

Fi36 - why not keep it and use it as emergency card when abroad

It's always a good idea to have a back up when you are out of the country