We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time Florida visitor

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterbrough, null...
4 posts
Save Topic
first time Florida visitor

Hello.

I am taking my family of 5(2 adults, 3 children of 13,6 and 5) this is our first time to visit Florida and go to Disney world. we are all so excited (especially me). what would you advise on things to do and places to visit. I love shopping so any shops you would recommend.

Thank you

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,654 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time Florida visitor

My best advice would be to buy the Unlimited Guide to Disney World or Disney World with Fids, or Universal. Tthere is a whole bunch of them so just select the one you find the most appropriate.They are all incredible mines of informations that you can dig.

Then on this thread you should also give us a bit more information about lenght of stay, budget, interests.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time Florida visitor

Regarding shopping,,try the 2 outlets at each end of international drive and the Florida mall you can check them out on the web and see the stores that are there.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time Florida visitor

Hi there's far too much to put in one post I could spend all day suggesting what you should do.

My first advice would be get a good guide book ,best one is brits guide to Orlando it tells you absolutely everything you need to know.

Secondly I would say do as much ad you possibly can don't waste time by the pool you van do that anywhere ,get to the parks before they open so you can do the best rides before the queues get too bad.

If you've never been before you need to do all 4 Disney parks also both universal and seaworld ,usr the water parks ad your rest days.magic kingdom will always be my favourite with Hollywood studios a close second but they're all fantastic .

Do your shopping in evening the premium outlets on international drive has some great bargains and a Disney shop selling last years stock at reduced prices ideal for presents.

There's just too much to say ,you will have the best time ever and you'll be worn out but you'll want to go back ad soon as possible.

Have a wonderful time

Mandy

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time Florida visitor

Welcome to the forum Pametty, you have come to the right place :-)

Lots of people on here are willing and able to help with your questions but as previously stated, we will need a bit more info, dates, times, location (if already booked), whether you'll have a car or using public transport, high/low budget, with regard to shopping bargain/labels etc etc.

It will feel like a minefield to start with but we'll all help you as much as we can.

Peterbrough, null...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time Florida visitor

Thank you all for the info.

we will be going in August for 2 wks. we have booked a villa at Disney Villa area in Orlando. We have also hired a car.I have no budget but $3000 was our max spending money while we are there. shopping and more shopping is all i want to do as i hear America is cheap(dont know how true that is)

Thank you again for your help

scotland
Level Contributor
368 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time Florida visitor

I would take on board all that's been said so far, but also try not to overdo it. Your 6 and 5 year old, especially, might need time to kick back and relax, just to take in all the things they are experiencing. It can all be quite intense at that age. Whatever you do you will have a memorable time - and you'll probably want to go back.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time Florida visitor

it will be melting hot in august, so do a park then relax the next day, either casual shopping or pool time, cos you will burn out and get ratty,and the kids will too, too often people try and cram it all in and go into meltdown screaming at the kids cos they are over tired, enjoy it but not at the cost of family feelings enjoy your trip

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time Florida visitor

when we took our grandchild, then he was 3 and a half, he was overwhelmed by it all, not wanting to sleep, and unable to cope with the heat, plus the jetlag, you need time to smell the coffee, and take it all in

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time Florida visitor

Apart from Disney, Orlando is a busy national convention center, competing against Las Vegas and some of the larger cities like Chicago. Some of the trade shows are truly enormous. It is also a formerly small city that was transformed by Disney, but still has some nice older neighborhoods (Winter Park could be a plummy old suburb of Chicago or New York) and a few local sights. Orlando's shopping is mostly but not entirely at the malls (there seems to have been a near-riot over sneakers at one of them last week), and it is a mixed bag, strong on mass-market. The most upscale mall, Mall at Millenia, seems to me roughly equivalent to the Gardens mall in Palm Beach Gardens.

Peterbrough, null...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: first time Florida visitor

thank you for your replies, @ jay45 and toy7 i think i will take your advice on taking it easy. lucky because of the villa it has a pool i will just sit in and relax. maybe a bbq would do me gud. m from africa so the sun wont bother me that much. i was really hoping it would be really hot. i thought i will go to disney for the whole 14 days but everyone seems to advice me to take it easy. i think its all the excitment. @ blueRusso thanx for the shopping info. my other half was already making a list of all he snickers he wanted lol.