We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Orlando May 2011

hudds
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Hello everyone. forgot to do this last year so thought I would write a TR of my holiday which I arrived home from yesterday! Sorry its so long!

Friday 6 May: Flew to Orlando from Manchester with Virgin on my own. Booked exit row seats and was glad as did not have a very good flight. First time I have flown on my own and I will not be doing it again for such a long time! Found it very stressful being at the airport and on a plane with noone to talk to for about 10 hours! Didn't think much to the staff on Virgin but I just watched tele and films solid for 8 hours (including Harry Potter). Arrived at Orlando and greeted by my rents (was so happy to see them). We went straight to downtown disney for some fairy dust. It was 86 degrees and beautiful. Had an early night after a quick tea at Applebees (ok but nothing special)

Saturday 7 May: Straight to the outlets for some serious shopping (poor dad). Spent a good few dollars in Ted Baker which is so much cheaper than England!! and with current stock! Also spent quite a bit in the sunglasses hut on a pair of D&Gs however I didn't have any nice sunglasses. Dad went to Levis but after that he started to get bored so we headed out for some dinner. Just to let people that are interested know we went to the UGG outlet and you cannot get the short standard colours any cheaper than $140 (still really cheap compared to the UK). Had dinner at Bahama Breeze which was really nice, everywhere was soooo busy due to graduation! Me and Mum shared a salad and a flat bread which was gorgeous! I was tired as still on UK time so we spent afternoon by the Villa. On the night we went to a restaurant at Disneys Boardwalk. It wasn't that good but it was crazy busy due to graduation parties.

Sunday 8 May: Got up and headed for Mall at Millenia. Got there at 10 am which was a bit of an error as none of the shops opened til 11! I treated my rents to a starbucks and met the nicest boys who we had a chat to about football and where we were from etc. It was mothers day in US on Sunday so we were expecting the shops to be busy. I again bought lots of goodies including a Michael Kors bag in the sale! It is still full price in the UK and saved me over £100!!! I can still not believe how good the shopping in Orlando is! I bought lots of clothes and a pair of UGGS, which again saved me £60. For dinner we just got ceaser salads and shared a piece of cheesecake from the cheesecake factory (yum yum yum you must try a piece!!) In the afternoon we went to look round the Universal hotels and check out the situation for Harry Potter world! (The whole point of this holiday was to celebrate my 21st as my parents had booked it for me as my present!) On the evening we went to the Outback. We are usually a fan of it but it wasn't as good as last year however I think this was due to the actual one we went to!

Monday 9 May: WELL just when I thought my 21st birthday present couldn't get much better my mum and dad told me they had booked us into Universals Portofino Bay hotel as a surprise!!! We were to spend the next 2 nights there and would have early access to Harry Potter each day after!!!! I was sooo excited and couldn't believe it! We checked in at about 11AM and our room was already ready. It was gorgeous! 2 massive queen beds in a really big room with a nice bathroom! I dragged my rents straight to Universal Studios where we went on twister,Mummy,ET (about 3 times!), Jaws. We then spent the afternoon enjoying the pool at the Portofino which was fantastic. The loungers were all cushioned and the pool was lovely. We had an evening meal at Mama Dellas which was nice. The pasta was really nice but the sauces very rich and the portions HUGE! I was so upset because I love Tiramisu but could not manage a desert! We had an early night as wanted to be ready for Harry Potter the next day!

Tuesday 10 & Wednesday 11 May: Both mornings we went to Harry Potter and I have to say it was absolutely out of this world! It was amazing! The way they have done it is unbelievable! It is so like the film. The main ride in Hogwarts is FANTASTIC!!! I was speechless when I came off because I just thought it was brilliant! However it did keep breaking down, I think due to how technical it is. On the Wednesday the ride was not working until 10 to 9 which was not good at all! People were really unhappy as it meant you could only ride it once before the park opened to everyone else. The butter beer was yummmyyy and the shops great. We did Olivanders and that is a treat that is not to be missed! I cant say enough about how they have done Harry Potter world. I thought it was magical- they haven't missed anything. Watch out for someone in the girls toilets when you go! If anyone wants any specific info about this just message me but I don't want to put too much on here in case it spoils things for people. The rest of the days we spent in the 2 parks and then by the pool again. It was sad checking out of the Portofino. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, it was fantastic! Before we left we picked up some things from the Universal shops! Also the Portofino new that my parents had done this for my 21st birthday and on Tuesday they sent me a piece of Tiramisu with a card! So sweet and really delicious!

Thursday 12 May: We went to Kennedy Space Centre which was really interesting! We saw endeavour but only from a mile away but it was still great to see it and learn about it all. Its a great day if you fancy a change from the parks and you learn alot too! Thursday night we went to The Outback to eat but this time the one we like at the top of the 192 (I think thats where it is but Dad drove so god knows!) It was brilliant! Me and mum had 2 for 1 cocktails and dad had a couple of beers! We went back to the villa to enjoy my last night afterwards.

Friday 13 May: We spent the morning looking round the Disney hotels and I have decided I want to stay at the Grand Floridian next time! ha ha Best get earning some $$!! We then spent the afternoon in Downtown Disney doing some last minute shopping and soaking it all up. Mum and Dad then drove me to Orlando airport and I flew home Premium Economy with Virgin. A great flight - I am so glad I upgraded. The space was better, the cabin a lot quieter and the staff nicer. Would definitely upgrade again.

All in all a fantastic holiday. An unforgettable holiday. Again Orlando has sprinkled its magic dust and all I can think about is when I can get back and do the Disney parks again. Part of me thought this would be the last time I went back to Orlando before I have kids but I just cannot see that happening!!

Although I was sad to leave Orlando (as the rents still out there) I am actually not as depressed as usual after coming back from holiday as I am going on a cruise next weekend with my BF ha ha ha!

If anyone has any questions then just shout. And for those who are planning a Disney holiday or waiting to go on one... Enjoy, it really is where dreams come true x

AnnieBoo,x

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

great report ... thanks

glasgow
Level Contributor
507 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Firstly happy birthday!

Great TR sounds like u had a great time!

Enjoy ur cruise x

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Lovely reading your TR, and a very happy 21st birthday year to you. Have a great cruise too !!!! :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

sound like you had a great 21st b'day. i've said before on here that i've never found shopping any cheaper so think i'm going to wrong places. my DH does tend to buy a lot of ted baker so which outlet has the ted baker store.

hudds
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Hi Jobelly

You definitely not going to the right places! I am a shop a holic and US is always cheaper for me!

The Ted Baker outlet was at Prime outlets on International Drive. I bought a dress that would have cost easily £90 here which worked out at about £60 if not cheaper.

UGG boots are $140 in the US and £150 in UK. Where do you usually shop in the UK and I can tell you if I have bought anything in the US!

-Annie

P.s thanks everyone else for your nice comments!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Happy birthday you lucky 21 yr old !! Great TR, glad you had a great time at Harry Potter World, it sounds amazing :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Hi annie, i think the prob is other than bags and shoes i'm just not that designer. as i said husband would buy ted baker/hugo boss etc but i'm more high street. i remember looking at fossil at city walk last year for bags and thinking prices didn't seem to be lower than Uk. we only did premium outlet last year so might try prime this year. sure we did prime about 10yrs ago but it wasn't called that. going to do more shopping this year though. jobelly.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

ugg outlet... where??? must be new.... only place i could ever find uggs was journeys....?

katie x

hudds
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

UGG outlet is at Prime Outlets but a bit of a let down as you can only buy like different colours for a bit cheaper, not the standard colours

Also can buy them in Bloomingdales in Mall at Millenia for $140

-Annie

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Orlando May 2011

Great trip report, really good to hear how much you like WWOHP. We're doing similar and staying at Hard Rock hotel for a night to get the early access so hopefully it will be as good as your experience.

I know what you mean about flying on your own, I did 30 hours incl, stops to Australia on my own aged 21 and I was stuck in a middle seat with strange people either side (and I dont' just mean strangers!!).

Glad you had a good time and thanks again, it was good to read.