We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 3 years Old Too Young?

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Is 3 years Old Too Young?

My wife and I have been strugging (fighting) about whether or not we should make Disney the destination for our annual trip this year (July).

My daughter will just be turning 3 yrears old, and I have mixed emotions about going now, or waiting a year or two.

She is at a wonderful age, she is very curious and loves Toy Story etc.... But part of me thinks that 95% of the fun will be had around the pool, and can easily be done elsewhere without the crowds/hassles of Disney (no offence).

Any opinions from people who have taken their kids at a similar age?

Thanks

Randalstown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

Afraid I dont have advice but we are goin soon with our daughter who will be 2 and 9 months. Really looking forward to it she loves to see princesses on tv, and is well into mickey, woody, buzz etc also barney dora (universal) and loads of others. she may not always remember it but us parents will have a lifetime of memories :-)

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

We took my little one to the Magic Kingdom for 1 day when she was 2 turning 3 in a few days. Just not much for them to do at that age. Just my opinion, yes the"magic" is there.

I also had a friend take her then 3 year old and 4 year old girls last summer. The 4 year old was better than the 3 year old, but lots of melt downs, just so much for such little people.

My little ones are going to be 5 and 7 now... And I think this year or next year would be perfect for our disney vacation:)

I hope this helps!

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

We visited Disneyworld with my step-daughter, her husband and her 4 and 6 year old sons last August and they handled it quite well, however, we only went to the parks from early mornings to mid-afternoon and did not return with them to the parks in the evenings (my husband and I went back but my step-daughter and her husband stayed at the house with the kids). We spent most afternoons swimming and resting at the house and my step-daughter tried to keep them on a schedule that was as normal as possible. My 6 yo grandson is prone to meltdowns and needs as much structure as possible so we found that it worked well for us.

I would say that it depends on the temperament of the child and your expectations - don't expect to see everything and don't expect to play theme park commando - kids aren't built emotionally for that type of touring at that age - they don't understand delayed gratification.

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

We've been going almost every year, sometimes twice a year for 20 years and we can't keep away. Our oldest son was 5 months old when we first visited and a nine hour flight with small babies is not my idea of fun but even that never put us off. Your journey will be much shorter and it sounds to me as if your daughter has the sort of active, enquiring mind that will just love all the sights and sounds of Disney. Remember that these parks are designed for all ages but specifically for young families and all your needs will be taken care of. There's an abundance of child-related facilities - lots of refreshment choices, play areas, child-friendly cast members, air-conditioning, first aid provision, restrooms....I think you'll love it!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

If you don't intend on doing Disney as a yearly pilgrimage I would then wait another year. The difference one year can make at this age is enormous. So yes much simpler things will the do the trick for now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

We took my daughter for just one day a few months after she turned 3 ( we were in town for a funeral). She is very easy going, never has temper tantrums - a very easy child! It was a very long day for her. We did rent a stroller and she did fall asleep, however for me personally - after looking back, it just was a little too young - especially for the $$ you spend (on yourselves to get in , food etc, toys etc). We did go back for 7 nights for her 5th birthday - and it was awesome! We never used a stroller, we were able to hit many of the great Disney restaurants. It was so much fun, we are planning another trip this August for just her and I.

Everyone has their own opinions and experiences. For me, one day was enough at that age. Glad we waited for a full Disney experience!

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

Thanks for the feedback.....I declare myself the winner of the argument.

We shall wait for 2 more years.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,221 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

it certainly isn't too young. whether it is the right time for you is another question. can you come just before she is 3 when she is free? do a short trip and even split it with the beach this time if you have concerns - a little taste. it's a magical age for sure. my concern is more the time (July = fairly busy and hot/humid) than the age. think too if waiting might mean she'll be a big sister in a year or two - that makes it harder. it's a really fun age. ours loves loves loves it. of course, we have the benefit of going for just a day. we don't do day after day and we don't do super crowded or super hot.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 20:13
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

I have to say, I am one of the people who tries to talk people out of bringing babies to WDW esp in summer. Mainly because it is hard work and the baby doens'get much out of it apart frm discomfort.

And in your case, yes, your child will appreciate a good beach/pool holiday. And maybe will be too young to remember. But they will be old enough to get a kick out of MK and seaworld at least.

you could always do a holiday based around a beach or pool with only one Disney theme park day for WDW. the hotels aren't that expensive if you choose carefully. It is park tickets that are expensive, and if you go the day before your child is three, they don't need a ticket.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 22:08
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 3 years Old Too Young?

My nephew and his wife took

their 3 year old daughter on the

Disney cruise boat the week

after Christmas, 2010. They

enjoyed it so much, they have

booked on the new Disney