We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a heavy heart.....

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
With a heavy heart.....

I'm admitting defeat and our upcoming trip in October (for just 7 days) will more than likely be our last for many years as a family. DD starts senior school next year and as Easter hols are out (too busy for us!) and summer hols too hot, busy and rainy for our liking, I'm going to accept that this will our last Orlando trip for a while.

After visiting nearly every year for the last 7 years we are going to have to make those precious 7 days ones to remember. I'm also going to have to start a huge diet tommorow to enable me to make the most of the Florida eatin'...

Still it's not all bad, I'm booking a Disney cruise in Europe tommorow for that last Disney fix...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: With a heavy heart.....

That is very sad news Ellaabbie - but think of the funds you could be saving for the next time - whenever that may be!

What I find sadder is that you're only going for a week!!! That would just torment me!!!

:0)

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: With a heavy heart.....

oh no! there are other times you can go! what about the first week of december every year? inexpensive and you can count it as educational? i havent been to disney and am trying to fit in our first trip around that time as well. i will be calling it educational! lol don't admit defeat! come on, find a way to jump across the pond!

Ireland
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: With a heavy heart.....

Ellaabbie,

Do you not get mid term holidays in October or February. Could you work around these?

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: With a heavy heart.....

There is no such thing as last trip....;-)

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: With a heavy heart.....

Ellaabbie, I am now 32 years old and have many memories of going to Disney World with my family. You are right, a time comes when those family vacations come to an end when the children grow up. BUT years later I now have kids and my parents come along on many of our Disney vacations and it feels like we are reliving our family vacations all over again. So the day may come when you will have grandkids and can make new Disney memories in a different chapter of life. I wish you the best, I know it will be hard for me to accept one day too. :)

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: With a heavy heart.....

Hi everyone,

Any other times to go in school hols are only a week and although we are only going for a week this time (sniff!), I should be grateful because we are only going because of some compo from Virgin from last years trip!!

I think I've worn the "educational" thing a bit thin now (although I'm a great advocate for taking little one's out of school-it does them no harm!), and DD's first year in High school is more important. By the time she is settled, my next daughter will be doing her SATS and moving up and then when she is settled DS will be doing the same (whose idea was it to have kids anyway???)

The High school is very strict about term time hols ie; ZERO tolerance and I feel that they are getting to the age where I need to enforce and back the school up. ( I don't know when I became so responsible!!!)

I know it's cheaper to pay the truancy fine, but I've had some lovely hols and have some lovely memories!!

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
7. Re: With a heavy heart.....

Hi ellaabbie, I understand that you are being a responsible parent. I also understand that teachers dislike having a student absent for a week. It makes a bit more work for them.

However, I taught school for more than 30 years, and I would never attempt to argue that anything I did in the classroom was as important as the memories a family makes traveling together.

Children of average intellect should have no difficulty making up a week's worth of missed time. Teachers always teach the concept at least three times, and children usually pick it up at least once. I never had a student who did poorly on semester exams due exclusively to missing five days of class.

My best students were those who came from strong, supportive families who made their own family culture. I would never place a priority on going to school over spending time on a family vacation.

The most meaningful vacations we had with our own children were those experiences we had when they were in high school. More like adults than children, we were able to share values and ethics in a non-threatening environment while on vacation. Our children remember the vacations they spent as teens better than any other experiences we shared.

I do not know what a truancy fee is, but if you have to pay money when your child is not in school, I think that is outrageous. Families should come first, and the role of the school is to provide education while supporting the family.

As for the idea of having kids......the best is yet to come. There is nothing more rewarding than spending time with your adult children and making new memories with grandchildren.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
264 reviews
8. Re: With a heavy heart.....

Get the Disney Photopass for some great family shots. Pre pay before you go to Disnay and save money. I paid $99 and had them take 202 pictures. Disney photographers are everywhere.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
20,349 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: With a heavy heart.....

You'll get back someday and it'll be more exciting because you haven't been for a while. You could try summer once, it's not that bad. I agree with you about school, plus a lot of kids as they get older don't want to be taken out of school anymore anyway.

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: With a heavy heart.....

seriously consider taking them out at a time when school is slow anyway, like i said earlier the first week of december! awww, you can and should take them back!