We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disney cruises with family of 5...

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
disney cruises with family of 5...

We normally go to Orlando each year because we find it hard to find holidays that have rooms for 5 people (2A, 3C). For next year, we thought we'd try something a bit different and have looked at the Disney cruise. However, it seems that the only cabins they have for a family of 5 are staterooms which are so expensive. Has anyone ever managed a different (cheaper) way ie; booking adjoining rooms???

It seems that Disney are penalising large families!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
238 reviews
1. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

We had the same problem and feel the same way about Disney and families of 5. Here is what we experienced:

We were going to do a Disney cruise with my brother and his family, and 2 other families. My brother and his wife have 2 kids as well as one other family. We have 3 kids as well as the other family. When we went to book our only option as a stateroom that cost us almost $8000. Meanwhile the families of 4 could go for around $4000. Double to price for one extra child. It didn't make any sense to me and needless to say we as well as the other family of 5 bowed out and refused to spend that much extra.

There were no other options. But that was 2 years ago, maybe call and see if there are different options now.

Good luck!

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

Hi Casey!

Disney don't actually give you any other options!! I did phone a travel agent though and they could do 2 inside rooms (together, but not necessarily adjoining) or the stateroom which fits all 5 of us with a balcony. It's £1500 difference though.

We find the problem is universal with Disney though. We wanted to go to Disney Paris, but the only accomodation that will fit us is the Davy Crockett lodges, that are a way from the parks with no transportation, so we would have to drive to france and use our car. (8 hours!!) Whereas the Eurostar takes a couple of hours!!

It's the same with DisneyWorld. Unless you want the wilderness lodge (even glorified disney camping doesn't appeal to me!!) or perhaps the Boardwalk Villas (very expensive!!) an on site stay is out of the question!!!

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

It also depends on the cruise. There are three and four day cruises to the Bahamas, and seven days to the Caribbean. Disney is generally the most expensive cruise line. I would look at Royal Caribbean (also at Port Canaveral and also with kids programs). The three and four days will be with the Monarch, and the seven will be with the Freedom.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,016 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

I have a fam of 5 and recommend Royal Caribbiean Big ships. No cabins exepct expensive ones like the family suites will sleep 5 but you can get 2 rooms next door to each other inside.

They are cheaper than Disney and better for older kids. Mine love those huge ships with all the things to do.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

We did the Nickelodeon cruise last year on Royal Caribbean (Freedom of the Seas, from Port Canaveral). Kids loved the ship, so much to do, and were big fan's of the children's program/camp. I started looking in to a Disney cruise (the wife and I did one 10 years ago, pre-kids.) and was disappointed with how expensive they are compared to the other cruise lines. We ened up deciding on a Disney World trip this year, but will probably do another cruise next year. It's just unlikely to be a Disney cruise because of the prohibitive costs.

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

Hi, we're actually looking to do the European cruise (Italy, France, Spain.

I know that the Disney one will be more expensive, but for a "family" orientated company, they just ain't very family friendly! Unless of course you have the average 2.4 kids!!!

We've found this at all the disney sites. (DLRP, WDW) you either have to stay in the cheap resorts or shell out for the most expensive!

7. Re: disney cruises with family of 5...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 07:16