We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgin food!!!

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
58 reviews
virgin food!!!

Hi ,i have read food is not too good lately on virgin flights,was wondering what can we have in our hand luggage before we go through xray scanners etc.can we take biscuits crisps etc,i know on departures side at the gate we can take sandwiches etc bought in the shops

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: virgin food!!!

Anything which doesn't contain any "live" ingredients or liquids is usually the rule. Someone I know had to dispose of a sandwich pre-security as it had mayonnaise on it and it was considered a liquid!!!

Check on their website and also the airport website you are travelling from.

I know I have been on flights in the past where they have asked you to leave any of those products on the aircraft or dispose of them as you cannot enter the US with them.

But double check on both their sites to see.

Hope this helps!!!

:0) Mango

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: virgin food!!!

I will check out the website,many thanks

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: virgin food!!!

Pot noodle maybe?

I know that they are grim, but still not as bad as VA food. They can supply the hot water on board and it may even shame them into serving some edible food!!!

England
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
142 reviews
4. Re: virgin food!!!

janeanne42, like Mango26 already said, all "dry" foods and most sandwiches are fine, just be careful with the liquids in your hand-luggage, get those after security.

The most important thing though is to leave all !!!!!! leftover foods on the plane. Two years ago our friends forgot 2 tangerines ,lol, in their backpack and they were questioned by customs officials in Los Angeles forever before they were allowed to pass through. We met up with them in the hotel again about two hours later, so watch out for that stray biscuit in your bag.

Enjoy your picnic and your trip!

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: virgin food!!!

thank you :)

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: virgin food!!!

Hopefully a few Greggs pasties will be ok :)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: virgin food!!!

Chris666uk

I fear no psties for you.

5. What about taking food with me to the U.S.?

U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations prohibit tourists from bringing fresh, dried, and canned meats and meat products from most foreign countries. If any meat is used in preparing a product, it is prohibited

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: virgin food!!!

I think i will be using my rucksack style cooler as my hand luggage ! surely the food can't be that bad ? Does Richard Branson know about this ! Lol . :)

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: virgin food!!!

I meant to eat on the plane not to take Into the US

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: virgin food!!!

I think that the food content has deteriorated in the past 2 years.

However, the food isn't THAT bad, there's normally something you can eat, just avoid the breakfast muffin on the return journey now that is bad, like reconsituted greasy cardboard which is thrown at you about an hour before landing.

I think the rating for VA food is "could do better"