We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

Neola, IA
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

We are going to be in Orlando 2/26 - 3/3, splitting time between Disney parks and Universal. Our group consists of families with 4 adults and 4 tweens/teens. The Mardi Gras celebration at Universal on Saturday looks fun, but if this makes for crazy crowds in the parks that day, maybe this would be a better day to be at Disney instead. On the other hand, this is also ESPN weekend at Disney Hollywood Studios, so maybe that would reduce the crowd at the Universal parks (or do both events just draw more locals)? Looks like Universal is charging a premium price for Express passes for Mardi Gras Saturdays in Feb, so that tells me they are expecting larger crowds those days. I like to avoid long attraction lines to keep DH from having a meltdown, but I think he would really enjoy Mardi Gras hoopla and music, so maybe the risk is worth it. We will have at least one additional day at the Universal parks, so do we take our chances and just plan to hit one of the slower days also? Or avoid Universal and head for Disney instead? Anyone care to advise our Mardi-Gras-sounds-fun-yet-averse-to-waiting-in-long-lines-for-rides group?

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Disney's Hollywood...
24,652 Reviews
Orlando, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Neola, IA
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

Surely someone has been to the parks on Mardi Gras Saturdays...long waits or not too bad?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

Hey, I just replied on your other thread, but thought I'd echo my message here in the relevant place!! We did Mardi Gras last year and it was BUSY. We'd actually done Discovery Cove during the day, then straight over to Universal for Mardi Gras and the crowds when we got there were crazy - it was great, but we didn't even bother trying to get on any rides, just soaked up the atmosphere and enjoyed the parade.

Stratford On Avon
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

Does it affect the rest of the Disney area do you know, or just Univesal?

and only on the concert days?

We are going to Orlando in 2 weeks and don`t want to get caught up in major chaos as we have a small child with us.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

I have never been to Universal for their Mardi Gras celebration but this time of year is traditionally a slow one. If you have a multi-park pass maybe you could visit Islands of Adventure and then head over to the Studios for the parade and music? Universal should be very slow on the week-days.

We've been to Hollywood Studios during ESPN week-end and it didn't seem that bad to me, nothing like Star Wars week-end which was a zoo. Sunday the 28th will be your only evening to see Fantasmic (Hollywood Studios nighttime show) since it doesn't run every night. DHS has a morning Extra Magic Hours on Saturday. Both of these events will bump up the crowds. Unless you're keen on seeing either Fantasmic or the ESPN stuff I'd pick another day for DHS. (Just a disclaimer: Athough the the kids and I rode the rides during the ESPN thing, hubby abandoned us. I'm not a sports fan!) Fantasmic, however, is a great show and well worth seeing if time allows.

Jennifer

Edited: 19 January 2010, 14:16
Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
14,342 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

Aside from the Mardi Gras days, the waits for rides in Universal were good - The Mummy probably no more than 15 mins - the longest wait was probably 45 mins for The Simpsons.

Over the 2 weeks there last year, we were surprised (and thrilled!) at how quiet the Universal and Disney parks were, apart from the crowds at Mardi Gras.

6. Re: How are crowds at Universal on Mardi Gras Saturdays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 07:16