We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you tip Car Rental employees?

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
805 posts
11 reviews
Do you tip Car Rental employees?

The last time we flew into Orlando we rented from Dollar. The employeed showed us to the vehicle etc and when we handed him the tip he turned round and told us it was not enough. Has anyone else experienced this? I almost wanted to take the money back and give him nothing! I understand that there are not as many tourists and therefore tips will be down but to ask for more money was rude in my books.

North Scituate...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
1. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

I never have tipped them!

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

What???? How rude! To be honest, the first year we hired a car we never even thought about tipping, but the next trip the guy was so nice, carried over two suitcases and went to get us a car seat (for which we hadnt booked or paid!) that we gave him $10. This last trip he carried (pulled) a suitcase and was ok but not overly helpful, I think we gave him $5, he didnt even look at it just said thanks and shoved it in his pocket...but one of the others there was counting his tips..he had quite a wad of notes in his hand and said it had been a poor day today and should have stayed in bed!!

Personally if someone had said it wasnt enough, I think I would have taken it back and said I would give it to charity instead! What did you give him??

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

As previous post said, the chap we gave a tip to thanked us and pushed it into his pocket without looking at how much it was. It was just a couple of dollars for showing us the to the car etc.

Very rude of the employee to say not enough! Again I would have said "give me it back then" and drove off.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
805 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

Travelbug-family - exactly my thoughts - how rude. We had just flown up from Miami and AA had lost one of our suitcases so we were not in the best of moods. He turned round and told us that the going rate was $10 - my husband almost blew a fuse - I thought I was going to have to restrain him he was that incensed. All he did was bring the car to us, never offered any assistance then had the cheek to ask for $10. If this had been our first trip we would probably have believed him. I decided to post this for others who are visiting for the first time so that forearmed is forewarned.

uk
Level Contributor
298 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

the rude little begger,theres nowt like cheek!

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

I would have took it back and told him to shove it somewhere .... !

I've never had any help, usually get given the paperwork and told to go to the car park to pick up the car.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
805 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

Oooops wrong way round but you get the gist.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,794 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

If they do something like load or unload the suitcases, I tip a couple of dollars but that is rare . I have never had anyone tell me I didn't tip enough in a restaurant or hotel or cab or doorman but I would ask for an explanation of how they feel a tip would be calculated and why I was undertipping and then I would take back whatever I had given them.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
805 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

I am so glad I posted this as I always wondered if we were being mean with tips. Bell boys taking cases to room I know is about $2-3 per case so I wondered how this guy could justify his amount - so glad we never gave him the extra money - wish now we had taken it back LOL

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Do you tip Car Rental employees?

Don't want to start another tipping thread (not another one) but there is no law so tip if you want, dont if you want, simples!