We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

Baltimore, MD
2 posts
Save Topic
Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

Need some advice... we are planning on going to WDW for a week and I want to take my son to Universal/Island A because he really loves superheroes/shrek/spongebob.

My question is do you think we could do everything that is for 5 and under in one day in both parks or you do think it warrants a couple days. My husband and I are not really interested in the big thrill rides. This trip would be geared for my son only.

We are planning to stay in WDW for atleast 5 days and are debating on whether or not switching hotels when we go to universal. What do you experienced Universal goers think?

Thanks for you help!

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
499 Reviews
US$55 per adult
US$59
Free Cancellation
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
194 Reviews
US$129 per adult
Free Cancellation
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
141 Reviews
US$119 per adult
Free Cancellation
pa
Level Contributor
54,913 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

Welcome to the Forum

I think 1 day will be plenty to experience Universal & islands of Adventure for a 5 year old and 2 parents that aren't into thrill rides

We did both Parks in less than 8 hours in Dec, included a few thrill rides and saw most of the shows and had lunch :)

Be sure to check the height restrictions before you go, nothing worse than Kids being excited and then finding out they can't go on a ride

texas
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

I went to Universal and Islands of Adventure this summer with my 2 daughters. The Dr. Suess landing Area was absolutely beautiful and I made them take pics in front of it for me.They are 16 and 19, but it was so cute. I think a 5 year old will have a blast, especially if those days are geared towards him and not you.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

Took my daughter a few years back when she was 5; overall very disappointing for her. We could have easily done everything in both parks for young kids in less than a day. They have added a few things since then for the younger kids but still so much of the Universal parks are not geared toward them. Make sure you research so you know how much your 5 year old can actually do/enjoy, so you can prepare him. We went to Disney World earlier in that trip, and after the first day at Universal my kids, especially the youngest (then 5 year old) was begging to go back to Disney World. Personally, I would never take a younger child back to Universal parks, just not enough for them.

Baltimore, MD
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

Thank you all for your feedback :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
519 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

You should have NO problem doing Universal/IOA in one day and experiencing everything he will like. In IOA focus on the Dr. Seuss area---geared towards younger kids just his age. He is probably too small for the rest---many thrill rides here.

Research the rides in Universal before hand to determine what he is big enough for, but the area by ET is geared for the younger kids. Shrek, & Jimmy Neutron, Men in Black are great rides, but are motion simulation rides---so you'll have to determine if he can handle these.

I'd suggest starting your day at IOA when they open, doing Dr. Seuss area (it does get crowded later in the day), then head to Universal. Again the area by ET also has Woody Woodpecker coaster for little ones, and some play/splash areas.

Whether or not you do Jimmy Neutron ride, Spongebob is usually in the gift store for a photo opp! Have fun!

6. Re: Help! Universal with a 5 yr old in late April 1 day or more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 05:19