We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Euro to Dollars

Limerick
Level Contributor
145 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Euro to Dollars

I live in Ireland and looking at posts from UK residents you seem to have alot of choice in places to exchange your sterling to Dollar. I was wondering would any Irish posters know if there is there any company in Ireland other than the banks to change my euros as heading to Orlando for Christmas. I find the banks give very bad rates and I feel I have been ripped off enough this year by them!!!! Irish posters will understand.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

I don't think this will help much, and they probably give a terrible rate...but just an FYI: there is a place in the airport (MCO) that will exchange money.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

Can you not use Crown Currency? I'm not sure how it works, whether you can pay by credit card or debit! Maybe worth a look on there. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you more.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

Have you got a Mastercard or VISA Credit Card?

Have you got a "debit" card (i.e. one which you can use to draw money from your bank account) with international branding (such as Cirrus, VISA Debit etc.)?

If you have, then the best rates can be had by.....

Use a debit card in a US ATM when you arrive for enough cash to buy incidentals. Odd cabb fares, Ice Creams, and so on. Only use cash where you can't........

Use a credit card for everything you can. Pay it off in full when due to avoid interest, and don't spend more than you can afford.

(Advice ignores market fluctuations which may have an effect. I can't predict whether this will be to your advantage and neither can anyone else. So, ignored.)

Needham Market...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

I have the same problem, we are off to Orlando for Christmas. The only thing I have found is that if you have any dollars left over check out Tesco as they buy foreign currency, their rates might be better.

Limerick
Level Contributor
145 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

Thanks for that I have put in my order for Dollars at bank I am changing 1000 euro and I will use my credit card for eating out and I have my laser card if I need more money. Sneeze41I dont think I will be coming home with any dollars I'm sure I will find enough things to spend them on while in America I have been in other parts of America and never had any difficulity getting rid of them I hope you enjoy your holiday at Christmas and looking forward to it as much as me.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

Unless there's something quite weird about the US that I'm not aware of, debit cards (to obtain cash) and credit cards should work quite well.

US residents need to be a bit careful of their credit card issuer's surcharges for foreign-currency transactions when traveling abroad. My own main credit card has a tiny surcharge, possibly because a lot of the credit card company's customers live and work abroad. Got to keep them happy.

[addendum: Florida gets lots of visitors from the Caribbean, South America, and Canada. Local businesses are accustomed to accepting foreign credit cards]

Edited: 12 December 2009, 19:13
ireland
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

Have you tried the Credit Union we changed our money here at a slightly better rate than banks I would also check with your bank about charges on your Laser Card as I found Laser was very expensive for withdrawing money it was much cheaper to use credit card

8. Re: Changing Euro to Dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2010, 05:15