We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Orlando to Miami

London
1 post
2 reviews
Driving from Orlando to Miami

Me and a friend are travelliong to Florida, International Drive eartly next year and want to drive from International Drive to Miami to stay there for a couple of nights. i wanted to know how long this journey will take? Thanks

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,891 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

If you take the turnpike which is a toll road you can make it there is about 3 hours. If you go over to I-95 you won't have tolls but once you get around West Palm & south traffic gets crowded & will probably add 1/2 hour to an hour to your drive.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

I am planning on doing the exact same thing... I want to rent a mustang from Hertz (quite cheap) but can some one advice me on the fuel consumption on mustangs as in ireland we dont have them here

london
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
1 review
3. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

well i did the route from orlando to miami, we did it in a ford econoline 8 seater we left on a full tank and did have to fill up till about half way back but even then we still had i think a quarter or maybe a bit more left. it took about 4 hours ish and did the turnpike ok it cost a few bucks but it was an easy drive

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
4. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

ec07, to be on the consertive side average 20miles per gallon. The tank should be at least a 15-gall one. And the distance is about 250 miles.

london
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
1 review
5. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

no i meant on the return journey, this year well sept 2007 me and a friend had a jeep commander great car but sucked on gas, as did its replacement a grand cherokke lardedo, so this year got a feeble sebring

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,143 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

I've done this several times, using the turnpike- 4 hours. And I drive about 5 mph over the limit, so gosh knows how fast the 3 hour driver was going lol.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

amanx what was you driving a Tractor Ive done it in 3 1/2 hours ,mind you I did get a ticket for speeding my one and only .

He was very nice though and halfed the fine as he read my licence the Usa way and thought it was my birthday .

If you want to go the pretty way go down the I4 towards Tampa then take the Skyways right along the coast then cut across Alligator alley ,the views are fantastic .

We stop at Venice for lunch ,you can then return via the boring toll road route which is much quicker ,or come back via the I95 which is also senic .

Depends if you want to see more of florida than motorways .

Skyway route with stop about 5/12 hours but well worth it .

Have fun :)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,891 posts
116 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

I live in Melbourne which is directly across from Orlando on the coast so you probably do have to add a little time for being inland. However I usually keep up witht the flow of traffic which is about 80 to 85 miles per hour. Especially futher south, drivers will practically run you over on the highways if you aren't keeping up with them. Stay in the slow lane if you aren't going to speed or you will have people tailgating and horn blowing.Try to time your drive not to be during rush hour & it will be a smoother trip.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

I always think it's a big mistake whatever country you are in to simply rush from one place to the next along turnpikes and Interstates. Even if I took nemmis's route I would miss out Alligator Alley and take US41, slower but infinitely more interesting.

To see some of the real Florida away from the theme parks and glitz, take the Turnpike to Yeehaw Junction, US441 to Okeechobee (and its lake) and South Bay, then US27 to Miami.

My map book gives the Orlando to Miami distance as 232miles, so to do this in 3 hours would be idiotic and dangerous, averaging nealy 80 miles an hour.

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
10. Re: Driving from Orlando to Miami

eco7 --

Remember US Gallons are 11% smaller than Imperial. Regular unleaded has spiked to $3.25 a gallon this week.