We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll roads

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
42 reviews
Toll roads

Hello all. We are planning to drive from Orlando to Clear Water ... then to Cape Canaveral.. then back to Orlando. Is it worth getting the Sunpass or just pay the tolls as we go? We will be using Alamo car hire. Many thanks in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
976 posts
238 reviews
1. Re: Toll roads

It’s already enabled, actually you need to ‘opt out’ and/or avoid ANPR camera lanes. Personally, just use it for the sake of a couple of bucks convenience fee + lower toll rates. Info on Alamo website.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,755 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Toll roads

The SunPass transponder is already in the car so you do not have to do anything.

If you want to just drive through the toll plazas then the SunPass will be activated the first time you go through one. If you want to pay cash, make sure you stick to the right hand lanes. It's your choice really.

You will not be charged anything by Alamo if you don't use the SunPass lanes, so you do not have to "opt out" as such.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Toll roads

See here for Alamo toll rates https:/…rentalVehicles.shtml using Toll by Plate. Whether you use this system or just pay cash is really a matter of personal preference - you will not pass through any cashless tolls on the trips you mention

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Toll roads

Thankyou guys.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
586 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Toll roads

We will also be renting through Alamo. If my memory serves me correctly, don't most rental car companies have the transponder? I believe you get billed separately a few days later on the credit card you used for the rental car..there is usually a cap per rental period on the use of the transponder if I remember. Thanks in advance for any additional advice!

Edited: 19 September 2018, 11:44
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,765 posts
6. Re: Toll roads

consult https:/…rentalVehicles.shtml to see how the rental car companies handle things.

no tolls Orlando to Clearwater. you will have a few stops to and from Orlando and Cape Canaveral, but payable in cash if you wish

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
7. Re: Toll roads

The roads (Hwy 528-the Beach Line) from the Orlando Airport to the Cape have manned tolls, so you can pay cash - just stay to the extreme right lanes, I would always ask for a receipt just as proof you paid the fee in case the Car Rental company claims you missed a toll.....

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Toll roads

Alamo only charges on the days you use the Sunpass lanes. For a $4 admin fee, I would have no issues using the electronic lanes on the days you plan on driving to Cape Canaveral. It beats stopping and waiting in line at least three times on the way over and three times on the way back (more if you use 417 too).

Alamo is toll by plate. There is nothing to activate, and nothing to opt into.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
586 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Toll roads

Isn’t there a maximum per rental period, say for example, have a weekly rental and use the tolls each day..seem to remember that there was a maximum per rental period? Thanks!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,765 posts
10. Re: Toll roads

use the link

Reply to: Toll roads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted