We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island House Motel on Casey Key -- Opinions please!

Which Nokomis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Island House Motel on Casey Key -- Opinions please!

We will be attending a family wedding in Nokomis in May 2011.

Must haves for lodging are 1) direct beach/gulf view and access w/swimming, and 2) under $100 night in a clean room. We will need 3 nights accommodations.

My initial web searches brought up a couple of places on Casey Key. This seems to be a perfect location for us to stay, seeing as it's so close to the wedding/family members in Nokomis. However, we're not ruling out alternative communities nearby...so long as we have our basic criteria met. Venice seems pricey, but we're open to suggestions!!

At this point, I've been focusing on lodging on Casey Key with Gulf views/access. Some are too much $$ for us to spend. We are a married couple in our mid-50's and traveling on a budget. What matters to us is cleanliness and a view. We are not concerned with updated decor or fancy amenities.

The Island House seems a bit dated....but that doesn't worry us. We kinda like that "kitchy-ness" but are curious to know of its reputation, cleanliness, etc. Have you ever stayed there, or know of anyone who has?

All feedback and comments are appreciated!! Thanks!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island House Motel on Casey Key -- Opinions please!

I was born and raised in Florida and have been vacationing on Casey Key for almost 50 years. Island House is one of the regular places our family rented, along with Westwind, Periwinkle (no longer there, part of the public beach) and plenty of others whose names escape me. I doubt very much has changed since we last stayed there 15 years ago (we now have a family home nearby), it certainly hasn't been renovated on the outside. None of the rent by the night places on south Casey Key are "nice". The decor will most likely be dated, and there won't be amenities. What there will be is rooms with a view of one of the prettiest beaches, and best kept secrets, in all of Florida........and I've been to many of them. Venice has nicer places, but there is nowhere in the world like Casey Key.........go for it!!

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island House Motel on Casey Key -- Opinions please!

Hi Sasha, I am a local. I have not stayed at the Island House but I go by it all the time, either driving or on the beach. It looks like a very nice well managed and maintained property and considering their website, the rates are excellent, particularly compared with other nearby Casey Key motels. If I could make a suggestion, I'd select one of their rooms that faces the Gulf instead of one of their motel rooms. The reason for this: I've been to a number of events at some of the other Casey Key motels and they can be very noisy when the doors to the rooms are facing along an interior corridor, with people partying, and coming and going, etc. Having a room facing the gulf would be more private and enjoyable. One benefit you have is coming in May when most of the busy season is over and the rates go down. I hope you have a wonderful stay in our lovely Nokomis!

Edited: 10 October 2010, 16:44
B.C.
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island House Motel on Casey Key -- Opinions please!

Have just returned from spending one month at the Island House......very friendly people.........very clean.............a great place for a quiet vacation on the beach. Not a party house, but a lovely place to stay.

4. Re: Island House Motel on Casey Key -- Opinions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2011, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Nokomis