We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location dilemma

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Location dilemma

Flying into and out of Ft. Lauderdale... looking for something ON THE BEACH..somewhere.. Miami beach, South Beach, North Miami Beach,, Hollywood,Ft. Lauderdale ???

Two nites; Dec 27 and Jan 4

Will be getting off cruise ship in Miami (Jan 4)in the early morning so will have two full days to beach...

So something on the beach somewhere would be GREAT... 3+ stars...travelling with two children....

HELP... picking which city is the prob... would like to try for under $200 ...for Jan 4 and maybe less on Dec 27 will arrive late and just need a "sleeper"

Have been searching and which city seems to be my main prob.

Many thanks

Miami
Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Location dilemma

Hi!

If at all possible, try to stay in South Beach, as there is much more to do in the surrounding areas, such as shopping, restaurants and more.

This is also the closest beach to the port of Miami.

The ocean front areas in South Beach are Ocean Drive and Collins ave.

However, if all you require is beach access so your kids can frolic on the beach (without much else to do within walking distance) virtually all the locations you mentioned will do.

Jan is an especially expensive time as it is during the peak demand periods with the snowbirds coming in droves.

South Beach will likely be among the most expensive.

You might also consider renting a private condo on the beach, however many private owners have a 2-3 night minimum.

You might want to try http://www.travelzoo.com/ for specials in the areas you mentioned, or for private rentals www.vacationhomerentals.com

Enjoy..

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Location dilemma

I wouldn't do South Beach with little (or any aged) kids. It's too expensive, the rooms are too small & it's really an adult atmosphere in that area. I suggest the Palms South Beach (not really in South Beach - 4 miles or so north) or the Marco Polo or Deauville. All are right on the beach, about 3 star quality, but nice, kid-friendly & have larger guest rooms. Check prices on Bookit.com for these properties for your dates. I've had good luck with Bookit.

Have a great trip! Lucky you~

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Location dilemma

I seriously doubt that you can find anywhere on the beach in those areas for under $200 a night. You may need to think about increasing your budget, if possible.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Location dilemma

The Century Hotel which is across the street from the

beach has a few front corner rooms that are large. The

hotel is minimalist and stylish with DVD players

and can be head for your budget. It is at the more

sedate end of Ocean Drive. I would suggest calling

the hotel for these larger rooms if you are interested.

Also, the manager may match any price you see on

quickbook.com.

5. Re: Location dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 18:20