We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siesta or LB - Which has more dining, shops, activities

Maryland
Level Contributor
395 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
Siesta or LB - Which has more dining, shops, activities

Hi,

I just cant decide between Siesta Key or Longboat Key. I will be in this area for 3 to 4 nights. I have the accomodations on each key decided. I know the beach is nicer on Siesta, we can drive there for the day if we are staying on LB. We wont be on the beach all day, we will be sightseeing all over, boat rides, fishing, etc... Below is what we are looking for.

We will not have kids.

"Margaritaville" casual atmosphere with fun restaraunts for evening with maybe some shops nearby. They do not have to be walking distance but I do not want to drive 25 to 30 min to get there either. Preferably on the water or close to.

Which key has more activities, restaraunts, shops, nicer landscape ?

Thanks in advance

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siesta or LB - Which has more dining, shops, activities

Have stayed both places, here is my take ...

Siesta has more of an "activity center" with shops and restaurants in a cluster, all within walking distance of each other. Definitely more the "Margaritaville" atmosphere you are looking for, with an unbeatable beach of cool, white sand. For me, the minuses of this island are the crowds at Spring Break which brings long restaurant lines and lots of traffic. And any major shopping (even grocery) has to be done off-island. I like it best off-season, when the beach and the restaurants are not so crowded.

Longboat Key is more residential and spread out, but you don't really have to leave the island for necessities -- groceries, drug store, beach shops all on-island. You can drive tip to tip in about 15-20 minutes, but the south end does see it's share of traffic, especially in the St. Armand Circle area, where there are lots of restaurants and shops (your Margaritaville). The beach is about 80% as nice as Siesta's, but more private and meandering. We prefer driving to the activity, and vegging in solitude here.

All a matter of personal preference -- hope this helps.

2. Re: Siesta or LB - Which has more dining, shops, activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key