We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Left

Dedham...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Just Left

Stayed at Ocean Key Resort and Spa. Loved it. Great pool, and location.

Favorites: coffee and breakfast every morning at Cuban Coffee Queen (one nearest marina), service at Liquid Lounge at the pool, sunsets and HH at Tower Bar at Turtle Kraals (overlooking all the boats), Schooners Wharf (the diviest dive), live music at Green Parrot, people watching on the street while enjoying drinks on the rail at Tiki House.

Lowlights: Didn’t use our Bar Cards once. Didn’t let it dictate where we went, and weren’t accepted during happy hours when we were at places on the card. And the roosters. I get people think they “add to the charm” but they don’t stop all night... except when it rained. We typically go to St John every year, which has its share of roosters as well, but they’ve never bothered me like they did this trip. Just my opinion.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
153 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$145.00*
20 replies to this topic
Dedham...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
1. Re: Just Left

Dinner at Hot Tin Roof our last night was also excellent. Planned on sitting at the bar and eating, but it was freezing and were able to grab a table for two outside. Poke, goat cheese mashed potato, and short ribs all great.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
153 reviews
2. Re: Just Left

Thanks for the report!

Yes, the roosters can be terrible. On the bright side, they eat the scorpions!

Dedham...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
3. Re: Just Left

Not a bad trip when two biggest complaints are not enough 2-4-1 drinks and roosters

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
329 posts
4. Re: Just Left

Nicely done.

Cuban Coffee Queen, Tower Bar, Schooners Wharf, and Green Parrot are all on my short list of favorites. I guess I need to try Tiki House now.

p.s. I like the bar card and the roosters. So, there we disagree.

Dedham...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
5. Re: Just Left

No food at Tiki, just an FYI. I have nothing against the Bar Card, just didn’t work out for us. The roosters however...

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Just Left

Thanks for your trip report. Yes, the roosters are loud and they aren't on any schedule. I've been here so long that I don't really hear them. Sounds like you had a good time!!

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
980 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Just Left

I am one who actually enjoys the roosters. We got the bar cards once and also found they didn't work for us. Still sounds that you had a good trip though.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,363 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Just Left

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum... it just so happens out that many of our favs are on the bar card. no we don't let it dictate where we hang either . its just how it works out .

the roosters are charming and never fail to make me smile - even when they wake me up at 2 am ... because I wake up in key west :) .. and by 4:30, 5 am when they really get loud, I am up anyhow . love them ! they belong!

Baden, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
9. Re: Just Left

Sorry the bar card didn’t work out for you. My wife and I usually have a day of walking around where we go bar to bar and people watch. We get our money’s worth from the card that day alone.

As for the roosters, I agree with you Spammie! Waking up to the roosters reminds me that I am in Key West. It doesn’t get much better than that! 🏝

Altoona, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
10. Re: Just Left

I'd rather be in Key West getting woke up by the roosters than be at home getting woke up by the alarm clock (or my husband's pager, lol).

Reply to: Just Left
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted