We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Pa
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Tipping

We all work very hard to make ends meet, but I’m sure if you can afford a vacation in Key West, then you can afford to take care of the service workers when warranted. What we witnessed yesterday happen to a popular bartender was just appalling, $105 tab and the couple leaves a $5 tip? A group of guys order 5 mixed drinks and then leave $3.50? In both cases they received the same good service that we did, so it wasn’t about the service. Most of these people were out of work for at least a month if not more and are having tough times making ends meet, please tip appropriately. This is just my opinion.

71 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
883 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Tipping

This is from........tripadvisor:

While tipping is not mandatory in most of the United States, it is customary in many circumstances for service, especially at almost all sit-down restaurants which offer table service and many food servers depend on tips as an essential part of their wage. Some states allow a "tip credit" to count as part of the Federal Minimum Wage of $7.25/hour so tipped employees may be paid as low as $2.00 an hour plus tips. Generally, the average tip is 15% to 20% of the total meal cost.

Tipping practices can vary depending upon the location in the U.S., and even published guidance can vary greatly depending upon the source. For example, some Americans don't tip at a buffet restaurant, but it's generally good form to tip $1-2/person for wait staff just clearing several rounds of plates, to as much as 10 percent if the wait staff is refilling drinks and providing other services. The general rule is to tip in proportion to the service, and the quality of service being delivered.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Tipping

Well if TripAdvisor says so lol

yo. oh
Level Contributor
334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Tipping

The math on the starting point for an appropriate tip is super easy when using 20% - if the service you receive is above average, then you can easily add $ to increase the tip amount/percentage - correspondingly subtract if the service is below average. However its reality that some people are big spenders while others are cheapskates - thats where the "average" tip comes from.

Regarding an earlier post comment of "the entitlement attitude some servers have whether they are good or a total snot to customers". The quality of servers/service has a wide range that affects the tip: Was at Hogs Breath a couple weeks back, ordered two drinks at the outside bar and handed the waitress the money, she rang it up and took the change and put it into her tip jar without even looking at me - took our drinks and left because of her offensive entitlement attitude. Was back in Hogs Breath 4-5 days later at the same outside bar with a waiter that is probably the best we ever had in KW - we stayed there for 3+ hours and left an above average tip because of his excellent service.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
464 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Tipping

My niece was a server for years and she taught me this trick:

Move the decimal point to the left (10%) and doubling it (20%). For example: if the bill is $40.00 you move the decimal $4,00 and double it to $8.00 - voila - 20%.

Comes in especially handy after you have had a few cocktails :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,865 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Tipping

One problem with that. You are supposed to tip on the pre tax amount.

66. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 February 2018, 15:55

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Tipping

We tip on the total amount but it's not a huge difference in any case.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
634 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Tipping

How you tip says a whole lot about you as a human.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Tipping

I'm sure there are plenty of lousy people who are good tippers.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Tipping

I’m with Fred, people who can empathize with others tend to be kinder. Human nature 101

Reply to: Tipping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted