We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Pa
Level Contributor
45 posts
Tipping

We all work very hard to make ends meet, but I’m sure if you can afford a vacation in Key West, then you can afford to take care of the service workers when warranted. What we witnessed yesterday happen to a popular bartender was just appalling, $105 tab and the couple leaves a $5 tip? A group of guys order 5 mixed drinks and then leave $3.50? In both cases they received the same good service that we did, so it wasn’t about the service. Most of these people were out of work for at least a month if not more and are having tough times making ends meet, please tip appropriately. This is just my opinion.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
154 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$145.00*
71 replies to this topic
Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
854 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Tipping

I really think it depends on what the person is ordering. If you sit down for a 1 hour meal and leave a tip of $5 on a $100 tab that is awful. But if you are at a bar for 5 minutes and order 3 drinks, I don't think that should necessary be warranted a 20% tip. That is just my opinion...

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
569 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Tipping

I always leave a dollar per drink, or $2 if I know or the bartender went above and beyond. I tip 20-25% at restaurants, unless I get awful service then I will drop that a bit. I worked in hospitality for years and tourists were some of the worst when it came to tipping. One time I had a table of 6 who were very difficult and hard to please, I did my best and by the end they seemed happy. They walked out and came back in and handed me a church pamphlet... I guess that was my tip on an almost $200 tab. American people in the hospitality industry rely on tips, please don't dine out if you don't plan on tipping a hard worker!

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
642 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Tipping

Bringing our $contributions$ down in April., always tip well.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Tipping

They should be ashamed of themselves!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Tipping

Tip well. I hate hearing people who complain about the costs of vacationing in KW.

The island is expensive and has been for awhile: This is no shock. You don't have to hemorrhage money, but do realize that many folks you come across work SEVERAL jobs to afford to live here. If you can be generous to those who treat you well, do so.

If you can't be bothered to tip or have to pinch every penny while you're here, perhaps this wasn't the prime spot to visit.

wexford
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
6. Re: Tipping

When you say key west is expensive how much would the likes of a beer/wine/spirit with mixer be ??

A Nice lunch/ dinner out ?. we would like to try all sorts while we are there just looking for a rough idea I have no idea of prices in key west

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Tipping

I keep getting screamed down in tipping threads .. as I see it, there are 2 issues - predominantly with guests from across the pond : 1) There seems to be a failure to understand that they are stiffing a hard worker and the lowest person on the totem pole . I keep hearing "it already costs $$$! i'll be darned if I give them even more!" and 2) In Europe , where servers make a decent living wage, the norm is to round up the amount and call it good. The English seem especially determined that their system is superior to ours and are quick to lecture that "tips are reserved for ABOVE fantastic service - not for just excellent attention" .... basically , any excuse they can find to leave none or a minute tip and still keep a clean conscience. Its sad to me ..

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Tipping

roz3 ... why not pull up the menus for a few venues that interest you and price items you think you might order ?

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: Tipping

Thankfully spammie you haven’t included Scottish tourists in that statement 😝

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Tipping

hahaha and there are always notable exceptions , of course !

Reply to: Tipping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted