We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
5 reviews
Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

I want to stay somewhere in the keys, and I want that place to be somewhat secluded, with beautiful, turquoise waters, and white sand beaches. The photos I've seen on TA of Key West look very busy and touristy. The photos I've seen of Key Largo seem to make the ocean look gray, and it looks like a lot of the hotels and condos are on some kind of water that isn't ocean. It looks like a river or something.

We want to take day trips to Miami and different places in the keys, but we'd like to stay somewhere with a slow pace, and our focus and top priority is beautiful beach right out the door of the condo/house/hotel.

So, which town do you recommend, and in that town do you suggest a condo or hotel for under $200 a night?

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
205 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

Where to begin....

We don't have rivers in the Keys. All the islands are surrounded by the ocean on one side and Florida Bay on the other. The Keys are formed of limestone, which doesn't make for white sandy beaches.

The first place which comes to mind with a white sandy beach right out the door is "The Moorings" in Islamorada. Second would be the neighboring property, "Cheeca Lodge.". However, neither is $200 or less per night.

Coconut Cove Resort in Islamorada might be an option. Holiday Isle, while it has a white sandy beach and blue waters, is a dumpy property. It was to be torn down & condos built on the spot but got caught up in the financial down turn.

Condo rental, which has been discussed in other threads on TA, is somewhat complicated. Unincorporated Monroe County has a 30 day minimum rental policy. Some condominium complexes allow weekly rentals. I am not aware of any legal condo rentals of fewer than 7 nights in Key Largo.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

The Keys are a string of coral rock islands, the remains of an ancient coral reef. Because the newer reef offshore, there isn't the wave action to create those white sand beaches so what beaches there are are either small natural beaches or man made with sand hauled in. If you must have that white sand beach, you'll have to go elsewhere.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

As mentioned above, the Keys don't have the expansive white sandy beaches that you seem to be looking for. What my family does each summer which might appeal to you is vacation in Marco Island (Gulf Coast) and take a couple of nights to visit the Middle Keys. That way, we get a BEAUTIFUL beach (and usually pretty clear, blue water) AND the tropical feel of the Keys. It is not an exceptionally long drive, so is very doable if you have a week or more of vacation time. You could also time your commute from one place to the next to do it on a day where you could visit Miami in between. If you are at all interested in visiting the Everglades, you would be driving them to reach your destination also. Marco Island is gorgeous and VERY peaceful! If you are interested, feel free to PM me and I can answer any questions you have. Good luck choosing that perfect destination!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

By the way, if that option appeals to you, go on vacationrentals.com and search the condos. You can find TONS that rent on a weekly basis and many of those are directly on the beach.

Sturbridge, Ma
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

Check out the Key Lime Sailing Club.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
205 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

A bit rustic for many tastes!

7. Re: Where to stay for a more secluded beach vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:40
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo
Recent Conversations