We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Boston...
Level Contributor
55 posts
63 reviews
Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Will be driving from FLL to KW with my adult children. Any recommendations on where we can stop for a bit on the way and enjoy the sights? Just want to stop for 1/2 hr or so at a beach or something.

7 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
268 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Planned route ? Not much if you follow the suggested route and take the Turnpike until you reach the Keys, then there's nearly limitless choices. Check the Keys board for suggestions.

Edited: 22 October 2018, 02:27
North Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
200 posts
418 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Alabama Jack's ?

Bahia Honda State Park and Beach ?

Tiffin, Ohio
Level Contributor
682 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

As long as it’s not a holiday, I’d stop at Robbie’s in Islamorada. You can check out reviews here but you can spend at least a half hour minimum there easily.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
166 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

The Keys don’t have many nice beaches and the nicer beach at Bahia Honda State Park is closed since from last year’s hurricane and will not reopen until next summer. I would stop at Sombrero Beach in Marathon. It’s a free public beach and probably the best right now in The Keys.

If you want a State Park, look at Curry Hammock where there is a decent beach and good kayaking.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,667 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Head over to the Florida Keys forum and check out the top questions for several ideas.

And yes, check out Sombrero Beach for sure.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
6. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Have lunch at Morada Bay in Islamorada - Perfect to get into the Keys / Island groove.. then stop at Robbies to feed the Tarpon.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
205 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west

Robert Is Here Fruit Stand in Homestead. The FL Turnpike dead ends into US1 South in Florida City. Right at the light (Starbucks on the corner) onto Palm Drive. You will drive thru Homestead and virtually dead end into Robert Is Here. Get a fresh fruit smoothie or shake made right there. I was just there Monday on my way back after a shopping trip to the mainland. If you want, you are also not far (5 miles ish) to the main entrance to the Everglades National Park.

Reply to: Driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key west
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo
Recent Conversations