We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Considering stopping for a short snorkel tour (with 2 adults and 3 kids 8,4,2) on our way back to Orlando. Making a day of the drive, don’t have to be back until evening to sleep and fly out the next morning. Any ideas on short trips (short is necessary for us bc of having little kids and needing to get back on the road)..... Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
263 reviews
1. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Entirely dependent on conditions and the kids. Can they swim ? Been on a boat before ? All tours are off shore and most run a minimum of 2 1/2hrs some operators have a age limit of 5 and up. Your time might be better spent elsewhere with the little ones...

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,537 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

My first thought is 'driving all that way after being in salt?"

Yes, some operators have showers, but not all.

Why not pick a good weather day while here and snorkel? Marathon has great reefs (weather permitting)

Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

They are all fish, even the baby swims like mad! (We have a pool and he’s been swimming since he was one, he’s almost three now). All but the youngest have been on snorkeling tours before. He will take his coast guard approved floatie and the other two will be fine in the standard provided preservers for easy floating while snorkeling. I’m not much on snorkeling myself so floating around and/or hanging back on boat with the baby is fine with me! Any ideas on what companies might allow the littles?

Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Good point, I figured we could shower.....maybe not possible. We head that way tomorrow, and I was thinking the Key Largo area was the don’t miss spot for snorkeling. What about the glass bottom boats? Worth it or pass? We have been many places and the kiddos have seen waters all over the Caribbean so maybe I’m thinking we’d be missing out on more than we would? We live in Kansas so we’re landlocked for another 6 months at least once we get home 😭😭😭

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,537 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

I like to recommend Captain Hooks in Marathon. Give them a call. As well as Tildens' and Hall's.

Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Thank you.... I do think if we do any type of tour we want to go with Key Largo... just so we can have an hour of driving under our belt early in the morning. (We’re heading up tomorrow).

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,537 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Wait. You're here now?! The conditions are not good at all for snorkeling. At all. If anyone takes you I'll be amazed. Sorry to be the messenger on this one but its not snorkeling weather by any means this week. White capping on point out there right now.

Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Makes sense!!! It has seemed super windy here in Marathon the last few days. I think we have already switched gears and are thinking of doing an airboat Everglades tour maybe. Advice on one not to out of the way? Our final driving destination is Orlando. (Just need to arrive by evening, flying out the next morning). Thanks everyone!!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
263 reviews
9. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

At the risk of being 'that' guy yet again, little ones and airboats arent a good mix, proper hearing protection is a MUST. Maybe you can stop and feed the tarpon at Robbies ? Take the kids to Sugar Sand park, just off of I-95 in Boca. Perfect for them, though do bring a change of clothes.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour

Robbies is a good idea.

Does your hotel in Orlando have a pool? I'd probably head straight there after Robbies, arrive late afternoon and plan to take the kids to the pool there for their last "hoorah". Dinner, and a good night's rest.

Reply to: Driving back from Marathon to Orlando-AM Snorkel Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo