We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite snorkel tour company?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
20 reviews
Favorite snorkel tour company?

Looking for recommendations for a snorkel boat tour in key largo. Prefer one with just snorkelers rather than snorkel and dive. I’ve done the one through pennekamp so looking for one of the private companies. Have done the Christ statue so more interested in a good reef. Seems like lots of choices so was hoping to get recs here. Also- any difference in length of time to get out to the reef between the different vendors depending on where they dock?

5 replies to this topic
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: Favorite snorkel tour company?

My usual operators offer SCUBA as well as snorkelling (I'm SCUBA certified so dive as well as snorkelling) but you say you prefer not to go with one of those, especially if a mixed trip (I get the different needs) so may not work.

The obvious choices include Keys Diver, Sundiver and Reef Roamer. They can get a little 'busy'.

Maybe look for a 6 pack boat doing a snorkel only trip - HMS Minnow for example?

You could call at the Chamber of Commerce visitor centre and enquire, see what itineraries are on offer?

Time to reef - operators with the most northern docks tend to go to the more northerly sites, but according to their schedule, if they have one. That can impact exactly how far/long - figure about 5 to 6 miles whatever.

Painesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Favorite snorkel tour company?

I am a creature of habit with Sundiver for the past 25 years. I have done pennekamp a couple times but it is always crowded.

Key Largo, Florida
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Favorite snorkel tour company?

Reef Roamer catamaran snorkel is the best for me.

snorkelkeylargo.com

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Favorite snorkel tour company?

I agree. Reef Roamer is a wide stable sailing catamaran and sailing out and back is half the fun. As it's stable and has 2 small gasoline outboards it doesn't give me the same seasickness problem I get from the diesel droning and smell from a larger boat like the ones at pennekamp. Plus as long as there's wind the motors aren't running anyway.

I can't advise on the time at the reef for various operators.

Brentwood...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Favorite snorkel tour company?

I was going to suggest Keys Diver's one stop trip, but I've gone to the better reef locations with Quiessence. It was a diver/ snorkeler trip, but they are small boats, just 6 divers IIRC.

I got to watch the scuba divers travel through a cave in the reef while filming from above. Their bubbles would work their way up through the reef, making if look effervescent! I think it was Minnow Caves.

Reply to: Favorite snorkel tour company?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo