We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ride bicycle on beach?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
ride bicycle on beach?

I'm going to Indian shores for the first time and wondered if it is possible to ride a bike on the edge of ocean/beach? Is the sand too soft or not allowed?

It is such a long expanse of beach, I figured I could cover more ground on a bike vesus walking.

Just wondering....Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ride bicycle on beach?

Probably both ... but the main road, Gulf Blvd., (the only N/S road) is very close to the beach.

See this google map: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Gulf+Blvd%2c+Indian+Shores%2c+FL&aq=0&oq=gulf+blvd%2c+indian+shore&sll=27.698638%2c-83.804601&sspn=9.543016%2c19.467773&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gulf+Blvd%2c+Indian+Shores%2c+Florida+33785&ll=27.861008%2c-82.847643&spn=0.018629%2c0.038023&z=15

Edited: 01 February 2013, 16:51
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ride bicycle on beach?

Yes I know the road is right there, but due to driver distractions I prefer not to ride on the road with cars.

I was inquiring about riding on the sand specifically.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ride bicycle on beach?

I think you would be able to near the waterline, where the sand is packed. Won't be as easy as pedaling on pavement at all, but I think it could be done by a stronger biker. Farther up the beach, away from the water, where the water has not packed the sand, I think it would be pretty difficult to ride there. Having said that, I really don't know if it is allowed or not. I can't remember seeing anyone recently riding on the beach. I know motorized vehicles are not allowed, but I don't know about bikes. You may want to ask where you are renting to be sure. Or, you can always call the police dept there and ask if you want to find out for sure. The phone is 727-595-5414.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ride bicycle on beach?

I know for a fact that a little bit up the road, in Madeira Beach, people bike on the wet/harder sand by the water because I've seen them:) Should be the same rules in Indian Shores which is only a couple miles down the beach.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ride bicycle on beach?

Thanks dtenel that's what I wanted to hear

6. Re: ride bicycle on beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Indian Shores