We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiting for the eclipse!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Waiting for the eclipse!

We are forecast to have about 80% eclipse here and the sky is pretty clear so far- so we are chilling the champagne for about a 2-2:30 pm sight we will never see again in our lifetime(s)..

anyone else in it's path? Nashville TN area should get a total eclipse

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
11 replies to this topic
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Waiting for the eclipse!

Same here in Louisville (we were closer to the "point of totality" - in Hopkinsville, KY) - we were supposed to get 95% coverage, but it sure didn't seem like it.

We thought it would be MUCH darker - actually, it wasn't as dark as when we have thunderstorms, so I was sort of bummed about that! But the temperature cooled by about 10 degrees, and the lights on the plaza outside our office building went on (they normally don't switch on until dusk). It was odd - because up on the 17th floor of our high-rise building, it was darker than it was down on the street level.

The BIG news in the state last night was the time it took people to drive home from Hopkinsville (which is a little "burg" located off of the Western Kentucky Parkway). One of the reporters from the local CBS affiliate called in to the 11 p.m. newscast and said he had "been in traffic for seven hours and was still at least two hours away from Louisville." A friend called me - he and his daughter were on a chartered bus that her school had arranged - and they were still stuck in traffic at 9:30 pm headed towards Owensboro and I-64 (since the Western Kentucky Parkway was so backed up going towards I-65 that they turned around).

We're supposed to have another total eclipse in seven years - but further north, in Indianapolis!

Edited: 22 August 2017, 17:49
Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Waiting for the eclipse!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted