We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in FB

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
855 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
First time in FB

My family and I will be stopping over in Flagler Beach on our way to Ft Lauderdale from Charlotte, NC. We will stay for 2 nights at the Flagler Beach Motel, at least this is the plan! :) From all the pictures everything looks great and right up our alley - we were looking for a small beach town to hang out in and possibly vacation in the future. Are there any good restaurants in walking distance of the motel? The beach looks very narrow - which is part of the draw - but it's enough room to lay out and play in the sand, right? How is the ocean itself, rough or just depends on the day? We are ocean swimmers, love pools too but don't like to be at the beach and not be ON the beach. Is there a boardwalk or main area we should check out? Thanks for any information!! :))

6 replies to this topic
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in FB

Happened to be in Flagler Beach last week and passed the motel. You are within walking distance of the Oceanside Beach Bar & Grill which is ranked #1 on TA among others but Flagler Beach is a fairly spread out town so you may want to consider driving to others. We ate at Oceanside and it was good but not sure how it is ranked that high. Drive down a couple miles to High Tides at Snack Jack which is a fun quirky place right on the beach. We go to Finns for the nighlife but that is too far to walk.

For two nights it is a good choice, for a longer vacation I would recommend St. Augustine Beach due to the proximity of the many attractions in St. Augustine. We stay at the Hampton Inn when we go (we were there four nights and stopped by Flagler to visit my sister who lives nearby). You may want to cruise through it on the way down.

Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in FB

There are many options in FB for food.

Breakfast - Big Easy Café, Java Joint, Sammy's, or drive to Hi Tulip Café.

Lunch - locals eat at A1 Burrito Works - seating is outside only - great fish taco's & burrito's

The Blue Café (at the Blue at Topaz Hotel) has lunch specials - from good to great sit down dishes

Lunch and/or Dinner

The Funky Pelican (on the pier) is great for eating on their patio (overlooking the beach & ocean)

Pasta Pasta - great Italian dishes - good pizza, but the Italian dishes is where it is at.

Fuego Del Mar - good dishes - fun place - full bar - live music in evenings over the weekends until 10

Flagler Fish Company - unusual menu - have the waiter/waitress explain it to you - great food - $$$$.

Many other restaurants could be recommended.... but that is my short list...

Hope this helps you!!!

Edited: 27 March 2014, 13:59
Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in FB

Very helpful information... We're going to be staying in Palm Coast in July. Thanks for sharing!

Sparta, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in FB

Thanks for the info. We are staying in FB mid May first time.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
855 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in FB

Thank you! We actually decided on Saint Augustine Beach due to the Hampton being there and we are Hilton Honors members - but plan to maybe pass through Flagler on our way down south for next time!

OCALA, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in FB

We drive 1-1/2 hrs from Ocala to sit on the beach in Flagler and eat at the Flagler Fish company

Beach is much wider north of the pier and I would suggest you setup there...

Food : they are open everyday but Sunday, actually a fish market with loads of fresh fish on display for takeout to cook at home or 10 tables to eat in house, very casual [ bathing suits w/ flip flops ok ] some outdoor seating but everything is cooked fresh per your order, maine lobster rolls, fried clams w/ bellys, many choices

not cheap as fresh fish is not cheap . beer and wine

Reply to: First time in FB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flagler Beach
Recent Conversations