We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
60 reviews
Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

I know this is a quiet forum but I'm posting this because I found little info when researching this area. And, what a great area to go to get away from it all! I've been living in Florida for years and outside of passing the exit by on 95 I never stopped to take a look. We wanted to find a place on the beach for a weekend last minute with our 2 dogs. There are several pet friendly beaches but most are very small areas of the beach making it difficult to find a hotel that will take pets within walking distance to a pet friendly beach. Then we looked into Flagler. Almost the entire beach is pet friendly except in the area of the main pier. So we found a small place called Luxury Suites on the Beach. There's only 3 suites...so basically it's a home converted into 3 separate condo units. They had availability for a weekend stay so we went ahead and booked it. They only take checks or cash no credit cards. We called and gave them our name and said we'd be there the following night. So the honor system is still alive!

We got there around 9 on Friday evening. We were greeted by the owner. She showed us the suite we wrote her a check and moved in for the weekend. The suite had a full kitchen,living room area and a separate bedroom with a queen bed and a bathroom with a shower and a large tub with jets. The place was clean and decorated with an eclectic whimsical flair. The best part was opening the sliding glass door and seeing and hearing the waves crashing on the beach. We were steps from the beach...simply mesmerizing. The patio had a table chairs. A hammock, beach toys and boogie board all to use during our stay. The patio suite next to ours was separate and fairly private but you could walk back and forth to the neighbors area and you share the stairs/ramp down to the beach. I plan to do a separate review on this place with pics and more detail. The other positive is there is a restaurant/bar right next store with decent food.

After unpacking, broke open the wine and sat outside listening to the waves rolling in. The dogs were even calm and relaxed. Saturday morn got up early took the dogs outside to the bathroom. In the front of the hotel is a small grassy area and across the street is all green. The hotel is on a curve in the road so its hard to see around so you have to be alert when crossing or even just walking near the road. Got our beach chairs,towels and family members and walked out to the beach. The beach was quiet. Early morning beach walkers were the only folks on the beach and throughout the weekend it was very peaceful and little action. It really felt as if you had the beach to yourself. Went to lunch at High Tides next door had a pitcher of sangria and ahi sandwhiches. Good food. Seems to be a popular place. Sat outside with view of the ocean. Later in the day took a drive into town. Town small but plenty of restaurants. Went to the pier. You can fish off the pier for $6.00 and walking on the pier is $1.50 pp. Went to Josephs Pizzeria for dinner. Got there close to 9 and decided to eat in. Place cleared out and learned they close at 9. On a Saturday night! We decided to take our pizza home. Good pizza Sicilian style thick and tasty. Watched movies and lights out.

Next morning after taking the dogs out half asleep my husband says "Did you see this?" in an alarming tone. I started to freak thinking it was a big spider or something, then he pulls back the curtain on the sliding door and I see the sun rising up over the ocean. It was simply magical! We threw on a bathing suit and got the dogs and went out to the beach to take a stroll. We then took our bikes out and biked up towards town and had an overpriced breakfast at Oceanside bar and grill. Biked some after then went back suited up and went for a beach romp with the dogs. Hung out the remainder of the afternoon just relaxing before packing up to leave. We paid for an extra night even though we weren't staying over because we didn't want to leave in the morning. They didn't offer half day rates. Either way it was worth it. I have never stayed inches off the beach before so it was worth every penny. We were looking for a relaxing, quiet place to reconnect and we found exactly what we were looking for.

5 replies to this topic
ovilla Tx.
1 post
1 review
1. Re: Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

You didn't mention the name of where you stayed.

We always stay at the Sea Watch Cottage in FB. Sheri the owner is great and pet freindly. I'm from J'ville area and now live in texas we love the FB area and would buy Sea Watch Cottage if it were available (be scared of bidding war if she ever put it on market).

Also Martins is a wonderful to eat when you go back. It's right on A1A. Great gator-tail and prime rib. Our Son lives in St. Augustine and drives to FB to go to Martains for their gator-tail he claims to be expert on gator-tail and says they have the best

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

We stayed at Luxery Suites on the beach....it's in the first paragraph of my report...on Flagler Beach next to a restaurant. We saw Sea Watch and looked into that one as well but it was booked. Really a great beach location to bring your pets!

Flalger County, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

The place she is talking about is adjacent to High Tides/Snack Jax's. The lodging sign is hard to read!

New Smyrna Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

Any updates on places that you can dine outside with your dog? I know that the city was addressing this during 2011.

Flagler Beach...
1 post
5. Re: Trip Report for Pet Travelers!

Eating outside with dogs is allowed in Flagler at restaurants that got a permit. Try Turtle Shack, A1A at N 20th St, Snack Jacks, A1A at the south end of town and Beach House Beanery, A1A at S 10 St

Reply to: Trip Report for Pet Travelers!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flagler Beach
Recent Conversations