We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
515 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

We leave for PA on March 1. Thinking of takiing Rt 331 N to interstate 65. Can anyone tell me..... is it a lot of "stop and go" & traffic lights??

Or should we look for another route?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

No - we've taken that route many times and it is not bad at all.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
80 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

We agree, it's not too bad. We've taken the route before and don't have a lot of issues with it. You certainly will have some of the stop and go, and will travel through a fair number of little towns that can present traffic concerns and "speed traps," yet it's doable.

We have also taken I-65 farther South to the Greenville exit, #130, in order to remain on the interstate longer. For whatever reason, and perhaps I am jinxing ourselves here, but we drive every year, and we never see any police along I-65. The speed limit for much of the drive is 70, which means the traffic tends to move along at about 80 or so. You can really fly!

One other thing to consider, we have found that our cell service (Verizon and ATT) once off of I-65 in Southern Alabama/Northern Florida is spotty at best. Last year, I distinctly remember that neither of us had any service for about 2.5 hours when we were in more remote areas. Once off 65, you will travel through a few stretches where, as a Northerner clearly visiting, you probably wouldn't want to be stranded with car trouble, and no cell service.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

Try Baked Directions - these are the ones we always take after numerous years of trying different ways

I-65 south to exit Alabama #114 (Georgiana), east on AL 106 to U.S. 31 south.

It merges with AL 55. Continue south toward Andalusia, then U.S. 29 south to AL 137 south toward Wing.

AL 137 becomes FL 189. Continue south on Fl 189 to Fl 4 to U.S. 90. East (left) on 90 to Antioch Rd. (Note: Coming from the north the road is called Antioch Road. From the south, it's PJ Adams Parkway). Take a right. This road bypasses Crestview and let's you out south of I-10 at FL 85.

Turn right (south) on FL 85 to Niceville and left at the T towards the MidBay Bridge. (Rt 20)

Take the bridge ($3.00 toll) across the bay and at U.S. 98 go right to Destin, left to Sandestin or straight ahead to Crystal Beach.

destin florida
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

In regard to "Baked Directions". Be careful of the posted speed limit as you exit onto Al.#114 on to Al. #55 and on to Andualusia. The local unmarked cars are hiding in the bushes waiting for us.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

We've tried both, it was pretty much the same. We kept debating while we drove 331 which one we preferred. We've been driving down for 20 years, so it was nice to switch it around a bit, but Baked's are really the best.

Hey Hanson, is that Cedarburg, WI?? Switch to US Cellular! I know in theory it's regional, but we get really good reception. I think they just use the local towers for their service and AT&T is best only near the main roads, it has to do with how they use the towers. I have a 4 y/o fuddy-duddy phone and we seldom have a dropped call or dead spots.

6. Re: Rt 331 -- Destin to Interstate 65

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Destin