We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin Questions

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auburn, New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Destin Questions

We are flying into Pensacola airport and staying at Destin Pointe in late May. I know nothing about the area, but can't wait to visit! We were invited by my inlaws and will be traveling with a 3 year old and 1 year old.

Do we need to rent a car to get around? Can we take a bus to/from the airport?

Do young kids usually wear life jackets at the beach? I am extremely paranoid about drowning. Can I purchase or rent gear like this there?

Any recommendations for activities or food that are kid friendly?

Thanks so much!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
438 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin Questions

You will need to rent a car for sure. I don't usually see small kids in life jackets, but who cares if it makes your feel more comfortable. You'll most likely have to bring your own from home.

Dolphin cruises are always really entertaining for kids, although yours are pretty young.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin Questions

Definitely rent a car Destin is quite hugh and waiting for a bus with toddlers is no fun. I would use some kind of swimming aid for the childern in the Gulf because of the chances of undertow. Fuddpuckers is a great place for eating with the kids. The Pancakery for breakfast kids get a kick out of the hugh pancakes. There are always the waterparks and Baytowne Wharf in Sandestin has a kids night on Wed. night. I have seen bunches of kids enjoying themselves in the fountain at the Commons while mom shops. The Marine show in Fort Walton is fun forthe kids.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 17:22
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin Questions

I think the life jacket is a great idea. You can purchase one at many of the beach shops.

The Gulfarium is closed for renovations thru May.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin Questions

I have seen kids on the beach with the blow-up arms and also the bathing suits with the foam sewn in to keep them afloat.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin Questions

Life Jackets would be a must in my book, but if the flags are Yellow or Red, I wouldn't let the kiddos in past their ankles.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin Questions

Ankle high is a good recommendation. At their age, digging with a pail and shovel under the umbrella will most likely be more their speed. If you're going in the water with them I suggest one adult per child and hold their hand. Plenty of sunscreen and monitor the dehydration factor closely.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin Questions

I think you'll love the area and it's reassuring to hear from a parent to respects the gulf, not all do. The drive from Pensacola will take from a bit more of an hour to 90 minutes depending how the traffic is. One suggestion, though it may add about 10 minutes, is to drive along Navarre Beach/Pensacola Beach road. It's the strip of land that parallels hwy 98. It's just gorgeous. Our daughter usually uses Pensacola's airport and just seeing the beautiful water and sand there makes the drive worthwhile for us.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin Questions

We opted to return on the beach from Pensacola through Navarre a couple of weeks ago on our way back from SB weekend in NOLA. It is an extremely peaceful, scenic ride with spectacular Gulf and Intracoastal Waterway views.

Speed limit is only 35 and the Highway Patrol does enjoy the ride too, so keep it slow and enjoy.

We are suckers for Flounders in Pensacola Beach who has the best NE style seafood chowder and $2 Margs. They are also owned by the McGuires people.

Bike paths are open too, gread bike ride!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin Questions

Thanks JoeMammy,

I am noting your recommendation for Flounder's if we are lucky enough to get over to Pensacola Beach this time!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin Questions

I second the life jackets. You don't want to lose one of those little ones. Don't take a chance. I had a friend that drowned there a few years ago and he was a good swimmer. But he did get caught in an undertow. Be careful and enjoy your trip.