We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo in which area?

london
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Condo in which area?

We are hoping to visit in may/June 2012 but are unsure where to stay for 1 week. There will be myself, husband, baby and my parents. We are looking for a condo rental as close to the beach as possible with gulf views (for evenings on the balcony). We will spend mornings on the beach and afternoons by the pool or golfing, shopping, exploring nearby towns, etc. We are looking for an area with lots to do. Were would you recommend on the panhandle coast? Looking for a condo for about 1500 dollars a week and have seen a couple: leeward key, gulf winds east and maravilla in central west destin, inlet beach south Walton, and tops'l beach manor, tops'l the summit and beachside one in sandestin. Any comments on these locations or condos?

Any help appreciated as there is so many areas and condos I'm getting dizzy!!

Thanks!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo in which area?

I would suggest you come in May rather than June - fewer crowds and probably could get a better deal on the condo.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo in which area?

That is a broad question, but here we go:

Leeward Key is across the street from beach but has a gulffront pool.

GWE the front row and a couple in the second row have gulfviews, they are two story townhomes.

Maravilla has 3 different buildings and some have much better views than others, across the street from water.

Beachside I in Sandestin is directly gulffront.

Tops'l is nice, the summit is not gulffront but if you are high enough it offers good views. Tops'l beach manor is directly on the gulf.

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo in which area?

We like to stay in the Miramar Beach area when we come in the summer. It doesn't seem to be as crowded as Destin proper. Windancer condos are right on the ocean and low rise. We haven't stayed there yet, but are thinking about it. They are also right across the street from the silve sands outlet mall.The crystal beach area is also nice and very close to the Destin Commons shopping mall. There is a lot to choose from. Have fun!

london
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo in which area?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, much appreciated! I have now crossed a couple of condos off my list (unfortunately Windancer is out of our price range). I am leaning towards Okaloosa Island as it is a little cheaper than Destin but is an easy drive away and some condos are a short walking distance to some restaurants (important as we will only have 1 car between two couples). I have narrowed it down to a few condos in the following areas:- Okaloosa Island, condos opposite Big Kahunas, Gulf winds east and Maravilla in Destin, Inlet beach or beachside one in sandestin. Any of these nice areas, not crowded but within walking distance to restuarants?

Thanks for your help so far.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo in which area?

If you come in June almost every place will be crowded - May is less people. In June the beaches at Maravilla and the area across from ?big /kahuna will defintely be busy. Uncertain about Okaloosa. Gulf Winds East has their own beach and should be less crowded.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo in which area?

Just slightly higher in price than you are looking for is The Coral Reef Club in the Crystal Beach area of Desttin. The 1 bedroom with loft is really 3 bedrooms and has hall bunkbeds for kids.

http://www.coralreefclubdestin.com/

If you look at CRC on Vacation Rental by Owner you might find a cheaper price than on the CRC websiite.

I've stayed there before and would stay there again. Gulf front, walk to three restaurants, nice area. Take a look.

Edited: 04 December 2011, 22:45
U.S.
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo in which area?

If sharing the car, and having options within walking distance would be big factor, then Sandestin would provide a huge resort with dining and activities all right there available to you.

Tompkinsville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo in which area?

You mentioned across from Big Kahuna WP.... I suggest Pelican Beach Resort! It will have a crowded beach as it is a high rise, but our family stays here off season every yr. and we rent multiple condos. That being said, if you go in mid-May less likely to be crowded. Biggest bang for your buck in Destin! About 1,100 for a 2 bedroom for 7 nites.

9. Re: Condo in which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2012, 14:35
Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo in which area?

Only building 2 in Maravilla has beach views. Bldgs. 1 and 3 view the beach from a right angle, and bldg. 4 has no view at all.

We stayed at Maravilla one summer, nice place, but pretty big, so beach gets pretty crowded.

In my opinion, avoid anything in mid-Destin (near Big Kahuna). Traffic is a nightmare getting in and out of units, and beaches are very crowded.

I recommend Scenic 98, or anything east of there in the Beaches of South Walton.

For $1500/week you can definitely find nice places, just don't expect to have a great view of the beach and be prepared for a short walk to beach.

We stayed at Amalfi Coast a few years back. Like I said, not gulf front, but a short walk across Scenic 98, and has partial gulf view. We really liked the pools and grounds and location. Down at east end of Scenic 98 where traffic drops off quite a bit. I looked on VRBO and you can find 2BR units, with bunk beds in a small bunk room or in hallway, for $1500/week in the summer. I think it would fit your needs quite well for the price you seek.

Here is a link to the first listing. Look around at the others.

http://www.vrbo.com/19465

Have fun.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 01:38