We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Living it up Like the Locals Trip Report

June 3 - June 11th

We left Fort Worth at 6:30 am on Sat. and arrived in Hattiesburg at around 5:00.

We had good weather and good driving conditions. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Hattiesburg, which was very nice and was very clean. The room had a great mattress that you could adjust. The place looked new. It was very nicely decorated. We used points to stay there and I would certainly stay there again, even without the points. You can walk to either Wendy’s or Outback Steakhouse from the hotel.

The next day we left at 6:30 and grabbed some Egg McMuffins at McDonalds which was 5 minutes away. We took the scenic route to Destin through Pensacola Beach and on through the National Seashore and through Fort Walton. It was a beautiful drive.

We arrived in Destin at 12:00 and were able to check in early because we had rented through VRBO and the owner had told us the people staying before us left on Friday and we could check in as soon as we arrived. The condo at Crystal Sands was very nice. Following our tradition we unpacked and headed to Dewey’s for lunch. On the way back to the condo we stopped at the Donut Hole for some breakfast donuts for the week. Then we headed back to the condo and went for a swim and some beach time. For dinner we went to The Red Bar for crab cakes. They were delicious as usual. After the crab cakes a waiter brought over a huge dessert of ice cream and tiramisu. He said the dessert was sent over to us by someone but he did not know who it was. We never could figure out who sent it to us. Free dessert was a great way to start a vacation!

On Sunday we met MBL and Mr. MBL and they took us out on their boat for the day. We toured around the bay and then ended up at Crab Island. It was great fun with different kinds of music playing and people dancing and enjoying a good time. MBL and I learned some new dance moves from the crowd while Mr. MBL grilled brats and chicken for lunch. Mr. Cowboy and I had a blast. We lived it up like the locals all day thanks to the real locals, Mr. and Mrs. MBL. If you get a chance to go to Crab Island you should do it!

To be Continued...

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

I await further updates. I was there May 31 - June 11, so our trips pretty much overlapped. Had yellow flags everyday except for red on the the May 31 arrival day. My main thing is snorkeling, so red is a killer for me, and I am glad the Gulf cooperated on this trip.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Fantastic report! We have only 3 days to wait for Destin!! We can hardly sleep at night thinking about it. Thanks!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Those dance moves were either learned from Billy Bowlegs festival or Sammys - uncertain which. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Red Bar crab cakes....yum....

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Sorry to have missed you Hawkfish. Mr. Cowboy and I would have enjoyed meeeting up with you.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Hi TCG, Loved reading your trip report!! We rented a pontoon last July and went to Crab Island and had a BLAST. It was very crowded on that Sunday with the radio station out there and chicken fighting lol. We didn't get to go to RED BAR OR AJS but hope to def head there next time. We had Key Lime Pie and donuts from the famous Donut Hole it is excellent. We met Mr. and Mrs. MBL at PJ's and they are so much fun, glad you got to go out on their boat. Did you see alot of June Grass in water since you went in June? :)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Wallaboosman, the water at Crystal Beach was crystal clear. We never saw any June grass the whole week we were there.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Trip Report Continued:

On Monday we had breakfast on our balcony and went down to the beach until lunchtime. Then we headed out to 30A to another one of our favorite restaurants, Stinky’s Fish Camp. We asked for an appetizer not on the menu and we were happy to have the waiter return with fried green tomatoes with crawfish and crab on top. He told us that it is only served after 4:00 so we were very pleased to have the chef fix it for us. For our main meals I had shrimp and Mr. Cowboy had grouper. Both were delicious. In fact we were so full form lunch we opted to pick up some salad from Sarah K’s and eat dinner at our condo. We got back for more time at the beach. It was a great day.

Tuesday we took a long walk on the beach with more swimming and sun and a trip to Destin Commons. Returned back to the condo and had lunch on the balcony again. This time Sarah K’s Mac and cheese with shrimp. I love the way that Sarah always makes it a point to come out from the kitchen to greet her customers in person. After lunch we headed back to the beach and then on to dinner at Camille’s. We have eaten at Camille’s several times and the food is always good. Once again the food was very good but no bread or rolls were served even though we had bread plates. The waiter did not suggest a salad so although we had delicious fish we felt that we should have had something besides just fish on our plates. I should not complain because the food was delicious and I had to bring half of it back to the condo. Still the presentation was a little off.

Working on the rest of my report...

oklahoma
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

Loving your posts! Can't wait to be in paradise...Sarah K's is a gem, they have some of the best take out foods in the USA...waiting to hear more!

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Living it Up Like the Locals Trip Report

TCG, We like SarahK's too we got take out food from them and it was large and excellent!! We heard about Stinky's Fish Camp and too long of a wait to eat there. Our last night last year we ended up at Mellow Mushroom pizza not my choice but the 9 yr old was almost asleep and it was too late to go anywhere else like AJS where we wanted to go.

Get answers to your questions about Destin
Recent Conversations