We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report Thanksgiving week

texas
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip report Thanksgiving week

Wow! What a great week! We really got lucky with the weather during Thanksgiving week. It was warm enough that my kids and I swam in the ocean. Not that the water wasn't a bit cool but still it felt great! I have never seen the water that clear. We were there in July and we really had some days were the water was like pea soup! Boy, did it clear up!!! We had beautiful, clear days, (some times a little foggy but it would burn off) Each day we would walk down Scenic 98 and through all the neighborhoods and it just felt like summer all over again but with a nice breeze! Shorts, bathing suits and flip flops all week! We ate at McGuires twice just because you cannot beat the food. Love it! Also ate at Harbor Docks, Donut Hole, and the Red Bar for the first time, that is such a neat place and the food is great! Also everytime we try to go there in the summer it is just too crowded and no one wants to wait! Also ate at Back Porch, one of the kids favorites however the food was just okay. Kind of a tradition that we go there and I don't like to break tradition. Stayed at Coral Reef Club. We have stayed at several other condos on Scenic 98 and Coral Reef Club is great. Super clean, nice property. It is exactly as it appears on the website. I would definitely stay there again. The only thing I didn't like was the pool area. It is an outdoor pool but enclosed with a 8 foot wall and I just didn't care for that. That was the only thing I didn't like about CRC.

Almost forgot, picked up crab cakes and a few other things at Sarah K's Gourmet. Awesome crab cakes and I know crab cakes. These are hands down the best I have ever had! I even brought a half dozen home. I will never order crab cakes in a restaurant in Destin again, hers are the best! (it wasn't crab cake night at Red Bar, but I have heard theirs are great too)

All in all, it was great week of fun and super weather. I just wonder if we were lucky or if its always that nice that late in November. It did turn cooler on Friday and that was okay since we were leaving on Saturday. It was cold when we left Saturday morning. I went out on the patio Saturday morning at about 6:00 as we were packing and saw a pretty dolphin go by. Guess he was telling us goodbye. It was the only dolphin I saw all week. It was really neat because I was the only one up and outside at that time. Can't wait to return in July!

Edited: 02 December 2010, 02:06
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report Thanksgiving week

If only I weren't 11-12 hours away, I would be there as much as possible... Do locals realize how lucky they are??!! Sounds like a fabulous time, glad you had a great week!

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report Thanksgiving week

You could move here too. Of course we know what we have here.

Weather this time of year is always a crap shoot - even in the same day - the temp dropped over 20 degrees two days ago in the middle of the afternoon!

Great trip report!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report Thanksgiving week

If I forgot how lucky we are to live here - I got a rude awakening by going to Chicago to spend Thanksgiving with the family. Cold everyday - windy and cloudy - rain - Yuck!! We did luck out and not see snow - It snowed slightly the day after we left. Was so happy to see the sun and beautiful water when we got home.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report Thanksgiving week

Sounds like you had a great time. Loved your trip report.

We also enjoyed the CRC and loved the crab cakes from Sarah. Glad to hear that the water was once again crystal clear. Makes me want to start planning another trip to Destin.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report Thanksgiving week

Hurry down TCG - the water is absolutely gorgeous today.

6. Re: trip report Thanksgiving week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Destin