We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO Deposit

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Topic
VRBO Deposit

I have a friend trying to rent a Condo through VRBO .The owner wants the deposit check made out to her and sent directly to her.

I have no expereince with this ,Is that standard ?and does anyone know the procedure from there. I would assume there would be some sort of confirmation after the check is cashed ?

I always rent through and association . Any info would be greatly appreciated .

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO Deposit

I rented from an owner in Atlanta about 3 years ago. I sent the check directly to her. She sent me an e-mail as confirmation and then a paper that acknowledged that she had received it. She was nice and we had no problems. We got a nice card from her thanking us for renting from her. I did make a copy of all e-mails, though. You can never be too sure! Hope this helps.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO Deposit

Jimmy, I have booked from VRBO at least a dozen times......one owner even lived in England......it is standard that you send a deposit check directly to the owner (thus VRBO = Vacation Rental by Owner).......as Summer says the owner will send you a receipt with further directions on paying the rest and usually a contract or rules of some sort that you agree to and after final payment will send you directions and key information.......Keep copies of all your correspondence and make sure that if the deposit is a security or damage deposit that it is refundable no later than 30 days of your departure, that too is pretty standard......In all my years with VRBO I have always had my security deposit returned !!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO Deposit

That is very helpful . I will pass it along .

Thank you !!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO Deposit

I do believe that is standard practice. Many owners are not set up to take credit cards. Also, credit card companies do charge to use that service so the cost is usually passed along to a renter. However, I would like to pass along one warning to the renters. In these unstable economic times, if a rental is foreclosed on or the owner goes bankrupt, you may have no recourse to get your money back whereas you can file a dispute with a credit card company and get your money refunded if something like this happened. Just something to keep in mind.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO Deposit

As summer & mombear stated, we've rented thru vrbo plenty of times & have had no problems sending the deposit check in advance & then receiving confirmation & additional info. Just ask what the whole procedure is so you will know what to expect.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO Deposit

Just reserved through VRBO for June. I sent a $500 dollar deposit check directly to the owner. She sent back in writing that she'd received it and would not cash it. I kept all of our e-mails in case there are any problems. She's very nice and professional, it seems, so I don't anticipate there will be any.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO Deposit

it is common practice, i liveout here and own a few rentals myself (listed VRBO) but with anything do some research....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
44,820 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO Deposit

This is common practice for all rentals by owner (apart from some who ask for a wire transfer as do not live near or in the same country as the rental.

Both VRBO and Homeaway now have rental insurance in place should you require it.

If you can pay by CC all the better, but be aware you will pay more for the priviledge as there are costs involved. Also some foreign owners aren't allowed to use theCC payment services offered by some rental sites.

Get a rental contract, ask questions, and you can even check that they are the owner of record on the county tax website.

If you feel unsure, you can go thru an agency, but these rentals tend to be higher priced as each layer takes a percentage.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 11:44
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO Deposit

Yes it is. Also, you can get a guarantee through the website if you register through there before you send your money. I have rented through vrbo many times-orlando a home, gulf shores a condo, destin condo 4 years in a row. I have always had a good experience. I get a home/condo with lots of pictures. I ask for references and call people who have rented from these owners before.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO Deposit

Is there any legal standing I have in getting back a security deposit paid to the owner? I sent the owner a check for my security deposit and then had to cancel my vacation nearly 2 months out. The owner refuses to send me back my deposit. What can I do?

Get answers to your questions about Destin