We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 Hog Rally in Destin

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2010 Hog Rally in Destin

"It will be phenomenal": Tourism officials, businesses going whole Hog for 2010 rally

October 28, 2009 7:14 PM

Kari Barlow, Florida Freedom Newspapers

DESTIN — Tourism revenue in October 2010 is expected to get a huge boost when the Florida State Harley-Davidson Owners Group rolls into town.

The Emerald Coast Convention and Visitors Bureau announced Thursday that the Destin-Fort Walton Beach-Okaloosa Island area will host the 2010 HOG Rally.

The Emerald Coast edged out St. Petersburg-Clearwater to land the event, which is expected to have an estimated $3 million impact on the local economy.

“It will be phenomenal,” said Kathy Houchins, a member of the Okaloosa County Tourist Development Council who helped make the pitch to HOG representatives. “We will fill everything up. It’s wonderful to have that kind of revenue in the third week of October.”

The Emerald Grande in Destin will be the host hotel for the four-day event, which is scheduled for Oct. 20-23.

Tourism officials made their pitch for the event last weekend at the state HOG Rally in St. Augustine, which drew more that 2,000 bikers from 27 states and four countries.

A big crowd is just what folks at the Hog’s Breath Saloon want to see.

“We welcome that,” said Mike Adams, the kitchen manager. “(Our name) just pulls them to us. It’s a cooler month, the weather’s better and there’s less tourism traffic.”

_____

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

The Emerald Grand and H.O.G. seem to be strange bedfellows to me....

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

Unbelievable that the local visitor's bureau is supporting this event. It's totally inappropriate for Destin and the kind of vacation image it needs to project.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

Have you seen the majority of Harley owners now - they are business professionals.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

Even if they are mostly "professionals", they will still be racing around in loud Harleys by the hundreds. It will not be a convention of librarians. This is not the thing that I would associate with a pleasant beach vacation or a fishing trip during the rodeo month. This Harley get-together might be appropriate for Panama City Beach or Daytona, but not Destin.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

MBL and I will just have to get new Harley's and check out the scene next October so we can give everyone a report. Maybe Suma will join us.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

Come on in TCG - Trust me - I will be checking it out - I have already invited some Harley friends of mine from Illinois to come on down - hopefully they will make it.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

PCB just had a Thunder Weekend near the end of Sept. Many came riding around Destin. No worries, Harleys are cool and it will be good for the local economy.

Louisville,Ky.
Level Contributor
285 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

Harley riders don't race around for the most part.....they are more laid back and into cruising around. They are well behaved and everywhere they have rally's merchants comment that of all the gatherings and conventions they have Harley riders are some of the nicest people and biggest spenders of all. It's an expensive hobby with most bikers having way in excess of 30k in their bikes. Welcome them with an open mind and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

9. Re: 2010 Hog Rally in Destin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Destin