We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatee tour with photographer

NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Manatee tour with photographer

Hello.

We are interested in a "swim with manatee" tour that includes a photographer.

Has any one used a company with that feature/or service or does any one know of a company that provides that service?

We are a family of 5 and would prefer to have a private boat or semi private (small number of guests) boat.

We will be visiting in Nov and want to book soon.

Thank you in advance for your help

1 reply
Crystal River...
Level Contributor
144 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatee tour with photographer

Hi Stefanie, a number of the companies that offer manatee tours have guides that accompany the tours. Those guides assist the snorkelers, and also take photographs. You can see the photos after the trip, and if you like them, you can purchase the photos. Some companies put the photos on a disc, some on a thumb drive, and others are uploaded to the cloud and you can download them with a password. You would have to ask the company which method they use, and what the cost is for the photos.

(Disclaimer, I work for Crystal River Watersports, which offers manatee tours, eco-tours, scuba training and tours.)

Things to keep in mind are that with guides, their first responsibility is for the safety of the guests and the manatees, and taking pictures comes second. The guides often get really great shots, but sometimes, they don't, it often depends on the day, the conditions and how the manatees behave as they are wild animals and don't pose on command. Manatees do exactly what they want, when they want- which is what makes these trips amazing. Also remember that the guides are not professional photographers, but most are very good and sometimes we get amazing shots and videos.

If you would like to look at my companies Facebook page, you can see a variety of what you could expect. We try to post a few pictures from each tour to show conditions, what you see on a tour, etc. We don't post all of the pictures from each tour so you will only see a selection. Our shop also includes a "Best of" selection on our thumb drive of pictures because you aren't always sure how well the photos will turn out, and that means that everyone gets some great photos and videos of the manatees, and other critters that we see, as well as the photos from your trip.

Please do be vocal with the guide. If you want lots of out of the water pictures as well as in water pictures- let them be aware of this so that you have a better chance of getting exactly what you want. If you want family shots, ask. If you would like the captain to stop the boat for a photo, or for the guide to take a picture of something- simply ask.

I will give you an alphabetical list of the companies I know that do a good job and have guides that take photos on their trips.

Birds Underwater

Crystal River Watrersports

Plantation

River Ventures

All of these companies offer semi-private or private tours on small boats, and offer in water guides that will take photos.

I hope this helps!

Sandi

Mentioned in this post
Crystal River Watersports
Crystal River Watersports
317 Reviews
Crystal River, FL
Crystal River
Crystal River
445 Reviews
Crystal River, FL
Reply to: Manatee tour with photographer