We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

We will be back from our cruise on Christmas Eve and trying to decide if it makes sense to stay in the Cocoa beach area for a day before taking the flights back from MCO on Christmas day. We have never been to Cocoa beach area before and will have the whole day to see around. Will the beach and other attractions be active on Christmas Eve or does it make sense for me to travel back to Orlando and stay overnight there. Any tips or guidance is appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

Cocoa Beach is going to be nuts on Christmas Eve in the AM with the surfing santas.

Things will probably calm down later in the afternoon.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

The Surfing Santas event has been around for about eight years, and usually gets national (and even international) media coverage. It starts early, about 8 a.m. on December 24, downtown Cocoa Beach, right on the ocean near Coconuts restaurant. See www.surfingsantas.org .

As you will likely be disembarking around that time, a taxi ride to downtown would be an interesting trip, with lots of photo ops. There will be hundreds of Santas on the beach, but also crowds of spectators. The party will continue for a few hours. If you are driving a rental car, parking near downtown will be difficult throughout much of the morning.

Later in the day, most restaurants will be open, but some will close in the evening. There will be few restaurants and no retail shops open on Christmas Day in Cocoa Beach. Your best bet for a Christmas breakfast will be at hotels. About a week before Christmas, www.floridatoday.com usually publishes a list of restaurants open on the holiday.

Orlando, being a larger destination, will obviously have more selection, but will also have lots of closures on Christmas Day.

Weather can vary, but the last couple of years have had very nice December climates.

Edited: 30 November 2017, 15:26
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

Surfing Santas is a fantastic event. If you can get a hotel, it is well worth it.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

Thanks everyone for your inputs. So it looks like it will be a good time to be in Cocoa beach. I looked at a few hotels and they still seem to be OK priced. Are there any shuttles between Cocoa beach and MCO. I know there are tons between Port and MCO, not sure if any of them do pick ups from Cocoa beach.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

You are probably going to want to rent a car. It is about 50 miles from Cocoa Beach to MCO. If you want to go out at night, Cocoa Beach is pretty spread out and there are a few good, casual restaurants inside the Port- Meaning that you might want to venture back to the Port later.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve

Although a rental car is usually the best way to move around the area and get to MCO - especially if you have multiple travelers - there are dozens of shuttle services that operate between the port and the airport, and many of them will pick up at Cocoa Beach hotels.

Although I usually drive (I’m headed to the airport in a few hours in a rented car), I have occasionally used Cocoa Beach Shuttle, www.cbshuttle.com . They have been reliable for me when I have used them, and are competitive in price.

Expect to pay about $25-35 per person plus tip for most daytime shuttles - night services are more expensive. Rental cars start at about $60 per day, and sometimes can be rented without the one-way dropoff fee. The trip to MCO takes about 45 minutes on a good freeway (the SR 528 Beachline Expressway) with $2,25 in tolls.

Alamo, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Payless all have offices in the area.

Edited: 03 December 2017, 11:57
Reply to: Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted